Chapter 20

Tw for this chapter: Past abuse mention (including starvation, physical abuse, being locked a tight space), past neglect mention, panic attacks

Wilbur was sitting out on the roof.

It was night time, Tommy was asleep just inside the window, which Wilbur left cracked in case Tommy woke up and started to panic. He did that a lot.

Wilbur was stuck in his own head, thinking about what Techno had said earlier. He hated that Techno brought up the fact that Wilbur had been abused, because now it's all that he thinks about.

Wilbur wasn't raised right, his parents were both "heroes", but they treated Wilbur as well as Dream treated Tommy. As soon as they found out Wilbur had powers, especially when they found out he had more than them, they wanted him to use them constantly.

At the same time they only wanted him to use them when he had permission from them to use them. They tried taking him out on missions, and they punished him when they went wrong. They blamed him for everything, and used the cover of "trying to train him" as an excuse to abuse him.

Their favorite punishment was locking him in a dark closet, using power controlling cuffs so he couldn't teleport out, without any food or water. They would tell him to be quiet, and if he didn't make a sound they would let him out in a day. If they heard him make a noise however, the time would restart.

Wilbur was once locked in the closet for 6 days.

It was only when Wilbur was 14 and they went on a mission, that everything changed.

~~~

Wilbur was tired, his body was aching and he could barely stand. The rain pounding down on his skin hurt, even though it was almost nothing.

"IF YOU DO NOT GET UP RIGHT NOW!" He heard his mother yell. He wanted to scream that he was trying, wanted to scream that he was just so tired, but he couldn't. He didn't have the energy to.

"GET UP!" His father yelled and Wilbur in all honesty wanted to flip them both off. He raised his head to look up at them, to see how badly they were struggling.

His mother was fighting a villain, Wilbur wasn't even sure who it was at this point. His father was fighting Angel of Death, Wilbur knew that for sure.

"GET UP!" His father repeated, even though Angel of Death was suspending him in mid air. Wilbur still wanted to scream back that he couldn't, but he still didn't. Didn't his parents know that locking him in the closet for 4 days before a mission would make him tired?

Didn't they know they were the reason why he couldn't get up?

"Leave him alone." Wilbur heard. He glanced up again and saw it was Angel of Death speaking. Wilbur didn't believe it at first but it was him.

Wilbur looked back down at the ground, trying to catch his breath and find the strength to get up. When he couldn't he just closed his eyes and teleported away.

He ended up in an alleyway that he knew was only a few blocks away from the fight. It was dark in the alley, and he was scared, so he curled himself against the dumpster next to him while he tried to catch his breath.

He was so tired, and he didn't know what to do. If his parents found him they would probably kill him for running off like that.

Wilbur took off his mask but it didn't help with his breathing problem. He knew he needed his inhaler but it was back at home, and he didn't have the strength to teleport back there. He was stuck where he was.

"Hey you okay?" A voice down the alley called. Wilbur panicked at the sound and tried to teleport away. But he didn't get very far, he managed to make it halfway in the dumpster. The voice laughed. "Okay kid relax, I got you."

"No don't!" Wilbur yelled but hands had already grabbed him and pulled him out of the dumpster.

"You're okay, I promise you're okay." The voice said and Wilbur knew he heard it before. He tried to look at the person in the darkness and it took him a moment but he recognized Angel of Death. He stared forward at him, there's no way he didn't recognize him from the fight just moments before.

"Where did they go?" Wilbur asked.

"They broke free from how I had them, and I heard them say they had to find you, and that you were going to die this time." Angel of Death spoke quietly. Wilbur stared at him. "Do you want to come with me?"

"Are you going to hurt me? Or turn me in?" Wilbur asked but he shook his head.

"No, you're just a kid. I'll protect you." Angel of Death said and Wilbur nodded.

"Okay. I trust you."

~~~

Phil had taken Wilbur home that night, and eventually Wilbur's parents were caught. They went to prison where they still remained to this day.

Wilbur for the first few weeks after living with Phil was terrified that his parents were going to just show up one day. Part of the reason why their house had the reinforcements put in place was to help ease Wilbur's anxiety.

Also within those first few weeks of living with Phil Wilbur wouldn't stop teleporting into other rooms away from him and Techno. Wilbur was terrified of both of them, less than his parents but still terrified, and he had good reason to be. Like with Tommy, Wilbur had been fighting them for quite some time.

Wilbur had teleported away from them whenever he heard their footsteps approaching, up until they turned off all the lights in every room of the house and then cornered him in the kitchen. That was the night they had the conversation about how Wilbur didn't need to be afraid of them.

It still took a while for Wilbur to get used to how much they cared about him. He wasn't sure anyone would ever care about him, but they did.

"Hey can we talk?" A voice said and Wilbur turned and saw Techno standing inside, leaning out the window. Wilbur's eyes flickered over to Tommy's sleeping figure behind Techno's shoulder. "I'll come out here so he won't wake up." Techno said after reading Wilbur's mind.

"Yeah okay." Wilbur said and Techno nodded, climbing through the window, leaving it open a crack like Wilbur had.

"I'm sorry about earlier, the fighting and what I said and all." Techno apologized.

"Thanks. I'm sorry too. I just have been really defensive of Tommy, and you were right on the reason why. I went through bad shit so I know what it's like for him, I was him years ago. I just want to give him a chance." Wilbur explained.

"I get it. I didn't go through what you did, and you've only shared a bit, but I get it. I'm sorry that you both went through that, but I'm glad it helps you help Tommy." Techno said.

Word count: 1200

LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN I KNOW IT'S BEEN 6 MONTHS BUT I FORGET THINGS EXIST OKAY BUT HERE YA GO OKAY IM SORRY