10. Hua Cheng leaves XianLe, and soon after returns with a surprise

Just before dawn, Hua Cheng was at his cabin consulting his nautical maps and notes on government patrols – those stupid officials never changed them – when somebody knocked on the door. It wasn't He Xuan for sure, but Hua Cheng's right-hand man and Quartermaster, Yin Yu. Once captured on a raid, this capable and resourceful young man has been following Hua Cheng voluntarily ever since.

"Sir. There's a XianLe envoy willing to see you, sir."

Hua Cheng stood to attention immediately, "Alright, I'm coming to meet him right away – "

But Yin Yu replied, "I took the liberty of bringing him aboard sir", and stepped aside.

It was the crown prince! He wore a plain skirt and a drape over his right shoulder, dark blue with gold speckles, and only golden arm rings. He looked pale and serious, but beyond beautiful all the same: a statue of jade, lapis lazuli and gold.

Hua Cheng bowed and cupped his hands hurriedly, "Your Highness! What do I owe the honour – "

The prince stepped in and, closing the door behind him, simply asked, "San Lang, are you leaving because of what happened in that cave?"

Hua Cheng lowered his eyes, "I'm a toad lusting after a swan's flesh: someone as beautiful and perfect as you would naturally reject me. But I meant what I said, and I can't just shrug it off and pretend nothing ever happened. And I don't want to put you in an awkward position either, so it's better if I just leave with my unrequited love".

The prince seemed to think about it, and said, "It's not that I rejected you. But, San Lang, you see my cultivation path forbids promiscuity. I can't have you as my lover, as much as – "

As much as I would like to, Hua Cheng hoped he'd say. "I understand", he replied with a neutral tone.

"You're leaving, and now things will be so boring", the prince said ruefully, "I'm going to miss you".

Hua Cheng smiled sadly, "I'm going to miss you too. Gege".

"Maybe one day, one day we can be friends?", the prince asked, his golden eyes full of hope.

"Of course", Hua Cheng smiled warmly this time, "I'd like that".

The crown prince nodded and smiled, and taking a little box from his person, handed it to Hua Cheng. It was made of white wood with delicate carvings and when Hua Cheng opened it, his breath hitched: a pearl the size of his thumb, and by its colour and shimmer, that wasn't an ordinary pearl.

"This is a dragon pearl", the crown prince said, "Keep it, and you can enter XianLe anytime, as the crown prince's most honoured guest."

Hua Cheng cupped his hands and bowed low, "Your Highness, I don't deserve the honour – "

"I hope you return soon. I'll be waiting", the prince said, and with a light nod, turned around and left.

After a few days, He Xuan also returned to the Mortal Realm, apparently having concluded his dealings with Jun Wu, and everything went back to normal. Till three months later, when the magical access to the underwater kingdom of XianLe was lifted like floating clouds and flowing water, and 8 junk ships were sighted – among them the well-known Crimson Rain. Hua Cheng was back!

News spread on Capital City like wildfire, and once again, XianLe's inhabitants flocked in to the harbour to see the visitors, which were greeted as old friends. At disembarking, Hua Cheng was received by none other than the Guoshi himself, who certainly had already sent word to the palace.

He hurriedly cupped his hands, "Guoshi sir! Greetings, good to see you in such good health. Once more I came with exquisite products for this dazzling kingdom, and this time – "

"Welcome back", the Guoshi replied, "His Highness will be delighted to see you again".

Naturally the Guoshi must have guessed there was some disagreement, Hua Cheng thought, and naturally he must know that, before he left, the crown prince went as far as going to see him, giving him the dragon pearl: otherwise, how could he be there at the 20th day of the 6th lunar month, and it was only wu time?

"Yes, that", Hua Cheng said, "Can I respectfully request an informal audience with His Highness? I brought him some presents too, would you be so kind as to tell me where to unload them at?"

"Why certainly, please come to the palace at shen time, and meet His Highness at the Red Coral Hall. I'll arrange for your presents to be taken there too, so you don't need to worry", the Guoshi replied with a dignified bow. Hua Cheng thanked him effusively, ordered the unloading and transport of cargo to the palace then went back to his cabin.

He planned on dressing nicely to meet His Highness, after such a long time! Hua Cheng couldn't help but feel excited, wondering if the crown prince missed him as he said he would. He had brought a few new robes – all red, of course – and accessories with butterflies and flowers, remembering His Highness rather liked such earthly things, finding them exotic.

At shen time he went to the palace, and was taken to the Red Coral Hall, a luxurious space with exquisite carving in several shades of red. While waiting for the crown prince, he started to open the boxes with the presents, wondering what His Highness would like the most.

After half and incense time the prince came in, exclaiming, "San Lang! You're finally here". He was visibly happy to see him, "What took you so long? I was nearly dying of boredom..."

He spoke in a pouting tone, and indeed his golden eyes had a reproachful look. He wore a golden gauzy fabric skirt, a wide belt and a body chain crossing his torso and converging in a mandala of colourful gems on his chest. His hair crown also had gems and dangling chains; Hua Cheng looked on: he had forgotten how beautiful he was.

"I did indeed take long to return Gege, I'm sorry. But not a minute has passed without me thinking of you", he replied with a flirtatious look.

The prince smiled back and lowered his eyes, clearly beyond himself of happiness.

"Come, have a look at the presents I brought you", Hua Cheng added, "Maybe then this lowly one will be forgiven for leaving Gege for so long..."

He showed the prince a jian sword with a golden hilt and a scabbard of white enamel with metallic details, as delicate as lace; silk muslins of many colours; an exquisite jadeite tea set with dragon carvings; assorted hair crowns, arm rings and bracelets...

"Look as this one Gege, how beautiful", he showed the prince a wide necklace, hammered gold with semi-precious stones, imposing and majestic. "Come, let me put it on you", he added.

The crown prince smiled shyly and approached, holding his hair aside, showing Hua Cheng his long and smooth neck, white as jade. Hua Cheng, clasping the necklace around his neck, put a hand lightly on his waist, saying, "Not as beautiful as Gege though", he smiled, "But very fitting".

The crown prince touched at the necklace with both hands and smiled brightly at Hua Cheng.

"Thank you San Lang, but", he laughed, "You brought so many precious things, some of them indeed priceless... I certainly can't accept them all".

"Gege", he replied, "These are betrothal presents, so of course they must be beyond precious".

As the prince blinked in confusion, Hua Cheng added, staking all in one throw, "The reason I returned to XianLe this time was to ask for your hand in marriage".

*Gasp* Hua Cheng is really going all out! Let me know your thoughts in the comment's session. 😍😜😉

Thank you for reading! Please vote, and don't forget to check for updates on Thursdays and Sundays.