CHAPTER FIVE

A truck's horn blows. Cashier lady goes along with them to this Kato man's house. Just by looking at it, Dazai knows he can create a four-room apartment out of it. Kato unlocks the door, yelling that he's home while letting them in.

Porcelain wood tiles, a comfy living room, a smart TV, and the cool air of an air conditioner. Dazai smirks. Anyone would die to live in a house like this. It's only the entrance... What more of the bedroom and kitchen.

"Welcome-" A voice halts itself in horror. "What is he doing here?!" The woman points her wooden spoon at Yamaguchi. She has been using it to mix the cookie dough in a bowl and now seems close to hyperventilating.

Kato blocks Yamaguchi out of her sight, trying to calm her. "Hanae, take deep breaths. Everything's going to be alright." He approaches her and takes her arms in his.

Hm. Her reaction is guileless. Dazai glances at Yamaguchi, but he's sincere as well. How will Hiyori solve this? Nevertheless, he can already see the problem.

Hiyori has her nail between her teeth as she stares at the couple. She removes it, "Hanae-san," then catches her attention. "Why are you baking cookies?"

Hanae recomposes herself. "I just wanted to eat some. Why?"

"Last time I checked, you're allergic to chocolate." Hiyori points out, making her eyes dilate. She laughs awkwardly.

"Right! Silly me. I forgot about it." She disappears then comes back without the bowl. "Thank you for reminding me. Would you like to drink something?"

"Earl Grey seems appetizing." Hiyori beams.

She dips her head in acknowledgment. "How about... The rest?"

Yamaguchi and him both decline while cashier lady asks for some water. She moves to prepare the ladies' order while Kato guides them to the couch. Minutes later, she serves the ice-cold water and the smoking, hot tea.

Hiyori places two fingers through the cup's handle — placing her thumb on top — then lifts it to her lips. She blows on it before taking a sip. An unreadable expression shows up on her face.

"Is there something wrong?"

"Who are you?" was Hiyori's only reply as she set the cup down. There's no hint of friendliness in her tone.

The woman becomes shocked. "Excuse me?"

Hiyori eyes her vacantly. "This isn't how Hanae-san prepares the tea she makes."

"I guess I'm becoming forgetful these days." Her pitch rises. "Don't mind it." She waves it off, but Hiyori perseveres.

"It's unlike Hanae-san to become forgetful as well. She's always the type to remind Kato-san if he forgot something."

Kato stands from his seat beside the woman, catching on to what Hiyori's implying.

"Where's Hanae-san?"

"Darling?"

Kato glares at her, making her flinch. Her eyes dilate as she lets her hair cover her eyes; tears stream down her face. It's over... Her playhouse is over.

"Alright, fine, you caught me." She curls her lips. "I'm her twin sister... The real Hanae's trapped in the basement." Kato immediately runs to their basement. "But," She glowers at Yamaguchi. "I wasn't lying when I said that man raped me. He really did!"

"Can you stop blaming him?!" The cashier lady defends.

"Believe me! I'm not." She asserts. "I'm telling the truth."

Hiyori seems conflicted this time. Dazai gets it... She's the type to be observant but not exactly intuitive. She flicks her eyes back and forth between the woman and Yamaguchi. She knows both are telling the truth... Fine, he'll interfere this time. It's getting tiresome on the sidelines.