chapter 2

Kalani's POV

-

Nick was dead. He was dead. My hands were shaking as I continuously reread the note in my hands. I let out a long awaited, but shaky and unsteady breath before a shrill noise escaped my mouth. The note fell out of my hands and onto the floor next to my bed. I grabbed a pillow and screamed into it, my breath quickening. He was dead. He was fucking DEAD. 

"Uh, Lani?" my brother Jax, who handed me this note, questions. 

"GET OUT." I say sharply. He closes the door quickly and I hear his little feet running across the hall and down the stair case. 

My body was still shaking. But I was more angered than sad. I picked up my jewelry box from next to my bed and threw it harshly at the mirror. Cracks appeared almost instantly. 

Why the HELL did he die now? Before we could fix things, before I could talk to him, before anything could happen in general. I squeezed my pillow as hard as could until hurt. But it didn't matter because my heart was in way too much pain to care. 

I turned on the TV but all that was on every channel I'd usually watch was Nick's death, which only angered me more. 

I changed the channel so many times but all that I heard were different new reporters' voices saying, "The murder of young teen Nicholas Dobbs," over and over again.

I decided to get up and try to get ready for school. There were several moments wear I just stood there and started crying but I did it. I was too nauseous to eat but I managed to dress somewhat nicely in light wash jeans with a floral blouse and black Doc Martens. I then hop in my car and drive to school.

-

Maddie's POV

-

*WARNING, PROFANITY*

I no longer cared about people trying to touch my butt. No more sweatpants, Nick always hated when I wore them. I put on a red and white striped crop top, and a long black skirt with black sandals. My long hair was curled at the ends and I applied light makeup. I realized how much a mistake that was in case I cried but my eyeliner was too perfect for people not to see.

I went straight to my locker and ignore any remarks about my ass or my chest. I quickly put in my combination and grabbed my books before a note fell out and landed on the floor. I pushed a strand of hair behind my ears and bent over to pick the note. I suddenly felt a hand hit my rear as laughter erupted from a group of boys.

"Oh, fuck off," I said, grabbing the note and standing up. 

"Damn, you don't have to be so harsh, babe," one white kid says. 

"Grow some balls bitch," I respond, sticking up my finger. A brunette girl walks over to defend me.

"You know, being a dick does make yours any bigger. Go fuck each other in the ass or something," she says, making them walk away and give us dirty looks.

I stare at her and she smiles, reaching out to shake my hand. "I'm Kalani," she simply states, still smiling. 

I fist bump her awkwardly. "I'm Maddie, and what was that all about?" She shrugs.

"I felt generous." There was an awkward silence. "So you know Nick, right?"

I nod and give a small smile.

"I kinda saw a note fall out of your locker. I got one too it's like a funeral invitation. I guess his mom only wanted us to come and not our family."

I quickly open my note and it's exactly what she told me it was. 

"No offense to you, but why were you invited? I mean I don't get why I was invited either but..."

"I actually have no clue. Like as kids we were really close but his mom always hated me because we would like kiss in the bushes. I mean she's nice now but she still probably doesn't like me. Maybe she does?"

"There's something at the bottom of the note," I say, purposely cutting her off. She was getting annoying. "There is special seating in the guest area of the auditorium during Nicholas's memorial ceremony, just for you."

"Gimme," she demands, grabbing it. "What the fuck?" she laughs. 

"This is getting weird...." 

"Who cares? We're sitting in the front row and get to watch Nick's face on a screen for most of the day." I didn't realize she liked Nick too.

"You like Nick?" I ask, shocked and almost appalled. Nick was my best friend, and was gonna be my boyfriend. At least that's how I wanted it to be. And it almost was. 

"Maddie, everyone likes Nick."

-

Chloe's POV

-

"I'm so sorry for your loss Chloe," Katie cries, giving me two air kisses. She is so fucking annoying. 

"Yeah, it's not really my loss. He would never had liked me anyways," I say, pity for myself in my voice.

Part of me just said that because I wanted Nia to start sucking up like Katie, rather than just keeping it real. But for the most part, I really knew Nick would've never liked me. And eventually that Maddie bitch would've told him that I was the one who sent out her nudes and pretty much ruined her life. Who would like someone who did that to their best friend? I wonder how she's coping. I hope she's an ugly mess.

I open my locker and a note falls out. 

"What's that?" Katie asks, reaching for it. I swat at her hand causing her to back away. 

"Katie, can you please just walk away from me before I punch you dead in the face?" I say sternly.

"Oh, sorry Chloe! I'll go to class," she says with a big smile. I fake a smile at her and roll my eyes as she scurries away.

"You know Chloe, you could be less of a bitch sometimes," Nia says, slamming her locker and walking away. 

"Well, you're just...jealous!" I force myself to say without choking on tears. Nia was fake anyways. She probably just talks about me all the time. 

I pick up the note and read it almost jumping up and down. I was invited to Nick's funeral, that must mean something. I don't know exactly what I meant, but it meant something. Suddenly, only a few people are left in the hallway and the announcements start.