III

He leads you through the back door of the bakery, out into the district. It's nighttime and the sky is speckled with stars, but you feel as if you're the only two people in the world. His hand is still in yours; it feels warm, gentle, and soft. Your other fingers are also interlaced, and your hearts are beating a mile a minute.

He's smiling at you the entire time.

"You know I still can't get over the fact that our lips just touched,"

 He chuckles.

"Neither can I"

You giggle.

He chuckles and smiles at you, and your heartbeat soars.

“Are you glad they did?”

He asks.

“You seem... happy.”

"I am"

You say with a smile on your face

“Come on, I want to show you something,”

He says, looking at you and smiling as he leads you through the dark streets of the district. The lights of the district have all been turned off. Your breath fogs up in the cold, crisp air. You've been following Peeta's lead and he's brought you into an alleyway. Your hearts are still beating incredibly fast.

"Just keep following me,"

He says to you quietly.

"Don't look back. Just keep your eyes right here on mine and don't look back."

The tension between you is thick and he's still holding your hand, but then...

Peeta turns his head to look behind you and you do as well, your heads both turning towards the end of the alleyway. You notice a pair of eyes staring back at you... then another... but before you can react you are surrounded by several armed Peacekeepers who look at you and Peeta. One of them motions for you and Peeta to put your hands up.

"Step away from each other. Both of you, on your knees,"

He says sternly, his gun pointed at you both.

You're shocked. You can feel your heart pounding in your chest and your hands start shaking. You do as you're told, both you and Peeta dropping to your knees.

Peeta doesn't say a word. You can see the fear and worry on his face, though, his face flushed and his eyes darting from the armed Peacekeepers to you. Your eyes are locked on him; Peeta is everything to you right now, and you want to protect him at all costs.

Another Peacekeeper takes the gun away from the other Peacekeeper, and he stands right behind Peeta, his gun trained on Peeta's head.

"Hands together! Now!"

He orders. Peeta does as he's instructed, placing his hands in front of him, interlocked, and the two of you stare right at each other.

A few more Peacekeepers have now surrounded you both and they're looking at you with harsh, indifferent glares. Your hearts are beating incredibly fast and you can feel anxiety filling your body with adrenaline.

One of the Peacekeepers motions for you to stand up and you do so, Peeta gets up after you as one of the Peacekeepers handcuffs him behind his back.

"Alright, we're taking you two in. Let's go."

The Peacekeepers lead Peeta and you into a nearby Peacekeeper car. You are placed into the backseat and Peeta is placed next to you. Peeta has his head hung low, looking so defeated.

"Peeta it's going to be okay."

You say in a hushed voice

"As long as we're with each other we'll be okay"

Your eyes are locked on his, trying to comfort him, and he starts to smile at you softly as you console him, his eyes on yours.

"Maybe it will, maybe it won't. But the important thing is... that I'm with you."

He puts his head on your shoulder and pulls you close to him, his body now pressed up against yours. He doesn't seem to be scared anymore; he's accepted his fate, as long as you're there with him.

You hold Peeta close to you, looking out of the window as the car drives away. You have your head on his shoulder, and your hands wrapped around his. You're both completely silent.

You're taken to the Hall Of Justice. Your handcuffs are unlocked and you follow the Peacekeepers into the building. You and Peeta are led to a room and are told that you'll have to wait there until it is your "turn" to be interrogated.

The Peacekeepers walking with us are talking to one another, but you ignore them and keep your eyes on Peeta as if he was the most precious thing in the world. Time slowly drifts by, and Peeta gently places his head on your shoulder.

He breathes out a deep sigh and closes his eyes, trying to keep calm. Peeta never shows any weaknesses in front of the Peacekeepers, but that changes the minute his head is on your shoulder. He opens his eyes and looks right at you, his eyes tired and his breath a little fast. He squeezes your hand tightly, breathing in your scent.

The Peacekeepers tell you to go to sleep and that we will be interrogated tomorrow and you both sink onto the bed in the room. You're seated on the bed and your legs are close to Peeta's as you look around the room, which isn't that big. Your hand is still wrapped around his as if you just can't seem to let go. He looks over at you, his eyes full of worry, fear, and just a hint of sadness. You put a hand on his, trying to comfort him the best you can.

You rest your head close to Peeta's, your fingers still curled up around his. You both lie down on the bed and cuddle together, your eyes slowly becoming heavy.

Soon, you find yourself in the middle of a deep sleep, one that's peaceful and comfortable.