CH. VIII, a little unhealthy

GILDED DRAGON'S BREATH

⎯GILDED DRAGON'S BREATH

✾✾✾

No one had ever explained to Aurora how the loss of a child would feel, how agonising it felt to birth a child she was never going to watch grow up, how they tore her from her body as they tried their might to breathe life into the small thing, but at less than five moons, no one held hope.

Prince Aemond had been forced to stand outside with the Hand of the King as the Queen tried to comfort the lady, but she had cried and pushed the Queen away until it was all done. The Maester walked out and looked saddened at the Prince. "I am sorry, my Prince, the child is lost" the Maester said as he bowed his head down in sorrow as the Hand looked to the Maester over his own grandson who was held by his mother as rage filled his expression. "Was the child a son?" the Hand asked, which someone seemed more important to him than the health of the Lady Aurora. "My Lord Hand, that is not of importance" the Maester said as in reality he did wish to remember the babe.

In true Targaryen fashion as he was told, the child had not looked entirely human as the Lady Aurora had birthed the stillborn babe, there had been deformities in his professional opinion and looked to be more dragon than human. "Was it or was it not?" the Hand demanded. "We cannot be certain" the Maester then said, he had told lady Aurora, and she was the only one to know. It had been a girl, as she was told as she laid on her side on the bed, her hand softly touching her somewhat flattened belly as her face was stained with tears. They had briefly shown her daughter, littered with scales and deformities the Maesters and wetnurses were quick to hide the babe, wrapping her in cloth before they left the room.

Aurora did not speak, she did not speak when the Hand and Queen entered and she did not speak when her husband entered, she did not dare look to any of them as they announced the babe would be burned on a funeral pyre lit by Vhagar as was tradition in House Targaryen. The one person Aurora did allow in her room had been Helaena who comforted her by taking her mind away from her stillborn child.

Within the moon phase, Aurora got back on her feet and sought something she did not think she would want. She tried to invite her husband back into their marital chambers, for her to conceive again. If she had done it so early on, she would surely conceive soon after too, but Aemond had always shaken his head and left her to her own as he went flying on Vhagar as Aurora felt like a failure, her husband did not look to her and enjoyed the company of his dragon to the company of his wife. Perhaps Aegon would be willing to let her womb quicken had been a vile thought of her one evening when Aemond had again denied himself from her chambers.

She had luckily quickly shaken her head and moved on as she laid wide awake in bed before she found a restless sleep. She had received her blood moon again which had been a good sign to the Maester who said her body had been properly healing as she gave him a nod, knowing it did not matter anyways because Aemond did not ever listen to her invitation.