twenty-two

WINTER'S FLAME

⎯WINTER'S FLAME

❄︎❄︎❄︎

Marya had not caught much sleep that evening until she saw the sun rise and got up from her bed, as she dressed in a dark grey dress with the red deep rubies on her jewellery, her husband was still apart of House Targaryen whether she liked it or not. Daemon still slept peacefully, and she let him as she walked out of their shared room before she saw Aemond sit at the painted table, looking from the window to the seas clashing against the shore.

"Have I ruined everything now, mother?" Aemond asked as he did not yet turn to face her afraid, she would have disappointment across her face, but she did not. "No, like I told you the evening before Aemond, if you had not done this surely your father would have sought out Lucerys and killed him" Marya said as she stroked Aemond's hair giving him a weak smile. "It does not feel that way" Aemond admitted. Marya nodded. "Because you still have taken a life, a life which may have meant nothing to you, but a life none the less" she said as she looked at her son. "I have taken a life before as well, and perhaps I will have to again, but I would not hesitate if it meant my family and everyone, I loved were safe" she said as she looked at Aemond.

He turned to his mother. "When did you have to kill?" he asked. "When I was younger and lived in Winterfell still, a man tried to take the castle and came into my rooms, I had been given a dagger by my father to protect me, and in a fit of fear and rage I killed the man" she said. "But you protected yourself, I did it to be petty" Aemond said. Marya turned to her son. "Your eye was taken, and your sister's face had been scared for what? A dragon? There should have been justice then, and there was not" Marya said and Aemond nodded at her words as she looked to him.

"May I be honest, mother?" Aemond said as he turned to her. "Of course," Marya said watching her son as he looked at her. He had been the second son, he would not inherit the throne, they planned Aegon for that, and Helaena had been her eldest girl, she still had Daeron as well, the boy she had send to the North to become a squire, a son she had missed. "Do you love me?" Aemond asked as he turned to her. Aemond had clashed much with his father in his youth, they had been so similar it often clashed, but Marya, his mother, she had been the world to him. "Of course, I do, Aemond, I have failed you as a mother if you believe me to not love you" Marya said as she took his face in her hands.

"You could never fail me, mother" Aemond said as he looked to her before they were disturbed by the Maester. "A raven, my Lady" he said as Marya walked to him as she was given the scroll. "It's from Rhaenyra's Hand, Lord Corlys" she said as she looked to the scroll and read through the letter. "They wished to declare war, and do not wish to answer to the Great Council we wish to hold" Marya said as she looked to the Maester. "Let us send a raven to those who stand with us, Maester, perhaps the forces of their armies will do well to remember this was not the cries of one but the cries of the Realm" Marya said as she looked to the Maester and he nodded before she asked a guard to gather everyone, as Daeron and Helaena were first to join them.