Calling All The Monsters! [3/3]

Start from the beginning

"Lucky charm." A newly transformed Ladybug called for her superpower, catching the object in her hands and looking around. Her sights set on the Eiffel Tower and then... him .

Oh, merde!

"Why do you always need me?" he huffed, crossing his arms over his chest and looking away.

He could tell her eyes are on him, studying him. A trickle of sweat popping onto his forehead, before causing a thin line over his makeup and down his face. Oh no!

He placed a hand 'cooly' over his cheek, hiding where his tanned unaffected skin had been revealed.

"Cataclysm this now," Ladybug said, handing the lucky charm over to him.

What was he going to do? The only thing he could. "No!"

Yeah, he knew it was immature but it wasn't like he could pretend to cataclysm something. The staff hadn't been too bad, he'd faked it well thanks to his fencing skills, but he was quite sure he couldn't fake blowing stuff up.

"That's because you can't," she gloated. He turned to look at her, a smug expression taking over her face.

"I could if I wanted to, but I don't."

"That's because you can't. Your skills are not what they could be, Chaton, so transform. We need to get this done."

If he revealed this now, she would have a clue to his identity too, something that was both exciting and terrifying. Avoidance would be key. "Whatever, watermelon."

She turned to face him, her expression angry. "Why are you acting insane?"

"Why do you look like a Watermelon?"

Her mouth opened and closed, unsure what to say to him. Maybe, if he kept onto her, she'd think he was actually insane and leave him alone, allowing him to transform and act as though his whole pathetic display of heroism hadn't happened.

"Insane," she said again, this time moving her head in closer. So it seemed she wasn't going to leave.

"Watermelon."

"Insane."

A low aggressive growl was heard from behind them, both freezing in their head-to-head, to look at what had caused that noise. It seemed the dogs had finished their game of fetch.

With an audible gulp, Chat Noir finally muttered his transformation. "Claws out."

*****

Holding out her fist to Chat Noir, they both tentatively bumped them against each other, eyes remaining away from their partner and in the opposite direction. Well, this had most certainly been a night to remember. Not only had both been too stubborn to transform, they were also on the edge of finding out who the other actually were, and now it was just damn awkward.

"Are you going back to the party?" she asked, diverting her eyes to the floor and rolling a stone backwards and forwards under her foot.

Chat Noir shrugged, dropping his transformation and returning to his Claw Noir costume. "I'm not sure I have a choice."

"How do we do this?" She dropped her own transformation, turning her normal suit into the altered costume of Shadybug. Alya was right, this wasn't a good idea.

"Keep our distance from each other and hope for the best? You look good by the way, like really, really good."

She smiled nervously. "You too!"

Side by side, they made their way through the streets and back to the collège. Chat Noir allowed her to go up first, keeping the distance between them.