9 - Mazaak

After gathering herself, Meerab did a little bit of a skin care routine to remove the old smudged makeup and quickly freshened up before her class. A prayer was uttered from between her lips that the rejection wilted Amar's ego enough that he took a step back, leaving her alone for a while.

At the same time, Murtasim knew that her class was about to start, so he turned towards the house to find her and remind her, and maybe throw a close up glance at Amar too. The breeze was swirling around him, slowing every step as if to brace him for what he would encounter.

Amar did stomp off from Meerab's clearn 'stop', every step thrumming on vexation and embarrassment from being so harshly pushed away, a single word that so suddenly separated them. She just an insanely pretty girl, and one that had been promised to him, yet she behaved as if they didn't have the same aim in mind. The union was a no brainer between the families of equal status. He was handsome and wealthy, and endlessly gifted her with lavish presents, yet to no avail in the emotional department.

The ideas conflicted in Amar's mind, churning with reasoning as to why she had willingly gone along with the engagement - the moves to get closer shouldn't have unnerved her so much.

''Bhai, ja rahe ho?'' Nosheen asked as he neared the hallway, disturbing his contemplation. (Are you leaving?)

On hearing their voices in range, Murtasim halted just outside the house, out of view against the doorway that protected him from being seen.

''Haan, business call aayi thi, wahin ja raha hun,'' he lied, buffing over the fractured ego. There was an insincerity resting between every word of the excuse, knowing that he was not burdened with financial responsibility or any stressful task as of yet - the bachelor life was a stroll in the park. (Yes, I received a business call and I am going there to attend to it now.)

''Gusse mein ho?'' She asked in a hushed tone, watching as he failed to make direct eye contact. (You are angry?)

Amar tapped away on the phone to look busy, to distract himself from the disgust that he had witnessed etched into Meerab's face at the touch - she should have been joyful at his attention. Mint gum and bubble-gum vape wafted around him she tried to assist in easing the palpable tension which brewed within her brother.

A smirk tugged at the corner of his mouth for Nosheen's efforts. ''Nahi, bas meri mangetar badi der lagati hai...kapre badalne mein, cheezen pasand karne mein aur... shaadi karne mein,'' he scoffed to himself, tendrils of failure scratching at his ego. Nikkah was the golden ticket he needed - that was the reason that Meerab had cited for the stop, for not being allowed to touch her, to take the next step. He was unwelcome. (No, it's just that my fiance takes time in changing her clothes, in selecting what she likes, and allowing us to be wed.)

''Acha, to yeh be-sabri hai?'' A smile that was equally teasing and playful toyed on her lips at him being smitten. (Oh, so this is the reason for your impatience?)

From the feeling of being understood, Amar began to spill his concerns, ''Mangetar hai, aur din mei milna chata hun. Ghar bhara hua hai, tou koyi masla nahi hona chahiye, itni awkwardness nahi honi chahiye humare darmiyaan.'' He conveniently missed out the part about showing up uninvited into her bedroom, or that he persisted until the space between them diminished until only a hair strand remained. (She is my fiance and I wanted to meet her in the daytime. The house is brimming with people, so it should'nt be this awkward between us.)

It was a blatant rejection.

At over-hearing the narration, amusement sprouted inside Murtasim. The retellingonly strengthened Murtasim's doubt that there was no love – none, not even a wisp of attraction on Meerab's part. The match was logical, but her heart didn't mesh well with the practicalities of such marriage.