Chapter 8

Despite the interruptions of "Udolpho" and the dressmaker, the group from Pulteney Street arrived promptly at the Upper Rooms. The Thorpes and James Morland had been there for a mere two minutes before them. After Isabella's usual effusive greeting to her friend, the two pairs strolled arm in arm into the ballroom, occasionally whispering to each other, substituting words with hand squeezes and affectionate smiles.

The dancing commenced shortly after they had settled in, and James, who had been waiting as long as Catherine, was eager to have Isabella join him on the floor. However, John had stepped into the card-room to chat with a friend, and Isabella insisted she wouldn't join the dance before her dear Catherine. She declared, "I wouldn't dance without your sister for anything. If I did, we'd surely be separated the entire evening." Catherine accepted this gesture with gratitude, and they continued in their conversation for another three minutes.

However, after some time had passed, Isabella turned to James, who had been conversing with her on her other side, and whispered, "My dear, I'm afraid I must leave you; your brother is quite impatient to start. I hope you don't mind, and I'm sure John will be back soon, and then you can find me." Catherine, though a bit disappointed, didn't want to object, and the others stood up as Isabella quickly bid her farewell. With the younger Miss Thorpes occupied on the dance floor, Catherine found herself under the guardianship of Mrs. Thorpe and Mrs. Allen.

She couldn't help but feel frustrated by Mr. Thorpe's absence. Not only did she long to dance, but she was also aware that her true position couldn't be known, and she shared with other young ladies the embarrassment of not having a partner. To be unjustly condemned by the world, to bear the appearance of wrongdoing while her heart and actions were innocent, and to have another's misconduct tarnish her name – such situations were part of a heroine's life and her fortitude in enduring it added to her dignity.

Catherine possessed fortitude as well; she suffered without complaint. Her feelings of humiliation were interrupted by the sight of Mr. Tilney, who was only a few yards away. He appeared to be moving toward them, although he didn't see Catherine, causing her to blush and smile with the momentary shock of his unexpected return. He looked as handsome and lively as ever, engaged in a lively conversation with a fashionable young lady. Her thoughts led her to the assumption that Mr. Tilney must be single, as he had never acted or spoken like married men she was familiar with. Catherine quickly concluded that the lady next to him was his sister, rather than his wife, based on this reasoning.

Upon this realization, Catherine sat up straight and greeted Mr. Tilney with a smile and a blush as he approached, though he didn't notice her. He was followed by another lady, who interrupted their encounter to speak with Mrs. Thorpe. As they were engaged in conversation, Catherine caught Mr. Tilney's eye and received a warm acknowledgment of recognition. She acknowledged it with pleasure and approached him with Mrs. Allen, who was also civil in her greeting. "I'm delighted to see you again, sir," she said. "I was afraid you had left Bath."

He thanked her and explained that he had left for a week but had returned soon after their previous meeting.

Soon, a lady from Mrs. Thorpe's acquaintance arrived, and the group stopped to speak with her. Miss Tilney and Mr. Tilney, who had been inching closer, were invited to join their party. Miss Tilney was a charming young lady with an elegant countenance, while her brother's manners displayed good sense and politeness. Catherine was interested in meeting her and gladly engaged in conversation to get to know her better. She asked about Miss Tilney's opinions on Bath, its buildings, and the surrounding area, as well as her interests in drawing, playing musical instruments, or riding.

With the two dances concluded, Catherine saw Isabella and James making their way back to their party. Isabella expressed her longing to see Mr. Tilney but was met with disappointment as he had returned to the dance floor with another lady. The dance left Catherine with a sense of frustration and disappointment.

Nonetheless, John Thorpe returned to suggest another dance with Catherine. However, she was no longer in the mood and refused his offer, which led to some tension between the two. John then left to tease his sisters, leaving Catherine feeling rather let down.

The rest of the evening passed in a dull fashion for Catherine. Mr. Tilney was occupied, and despite a fleeting encounter, they couldn't resume their conversation. She kept hoping for a dance but grew increasingly disheartened. As the evening wore on, it seemed the attention she had hoped for was eluding her. She hadn't had the opportunity to dance with Mr. Tilney, and the overall experience was rather disappointing.