19. Steal of the Night

Start from the beginning

"It is really that serious?" She didn't understand the depth of the problem. Would Shah nawaz have the audacity to break a spiritual retreat? Would he break Peer Haider's sacred laws? Why was Shah Nawaz obsessed with Meh'r-Bano?

"It will be fine, Uzayr." Fiza placed her hand on his arm as he splashed water on his face.

Fiza placated her husband, quashing his worries with soft words and strokes to his arm in an attempt to touch him, make contact that made her feel good. He rarely stayed in one place, he was always busy doing something. Now festering in worry he allowed her to care for him.

A cacophony of voices interrupted them. The loud voices could be heard from inside the haveli and led to the courtyard. Uzayr quickly made his way out of the bedroom and raced in the courtyard. The rain was heavy and fast beating down on him.

Making his way outside in the courtyard he approached the raised voices, Shah Nawaz dressed in a simple white salwar kameez with a beige shawl over his shoulders stood next to the SUV with Wajahat Ali standing in front of the driver's door. Uzayr's heart dropped to the ground. He couldn't stop his uncle. He couldn't sleep.

"Choudhari Saab- it is not my place, but I feel you should seriously think twice before you drive to the darbar. This would destroy the peace between the haveli and the darbar." Wajahat Ali wiped the rain off his face. 

Uzayr knew it, Shah Nawaz wouldn't leave it.

"Mamoo- what's going on. It's so late."

"Get out of my way. Know you place." Shah Nawaz nearly headbutted Wajahat; forehead to forehead.

"Saab-" Wajahat Ali was instructed by Shahgul to keep Shah Nawaz away from Meh'r-Bano. But he could do little when Shah Nawaz was the master of Jahanpur.

Shah Nawaz climbed into the driver seat and turned the engine.

"Mamoo- where are you going?" Without a minute to waste Uzayr ran around the vehicle and jumped into the passenger seat. Shah Nawaz punched his horn blaring at the guards to open the gates. Panicked Uzayr questioned his uncle on where he was headed. He knew where he was going, but needed to hear it from Shah Nawaz.

"I should have gone straight away." Shah Nawaz turned the corners at dangerously fast speed. Behind, Wajahat Ali flashed his light close on their tail.

"You can't do this. It will create mayhem in Jahanpur -if you take the maid from the darbar. It's her spiritual journey. It will cause a scandal. Peer Haider is a from a sacred lineage - this will cause high disrespect." The risks were high if Shah Nawaz made his move towards the darbar- but he was blind with rage.

The road was treacherous, the wipers danced wildly squeaking against the windscreen. Shah Nawaz drove off road splashing through potholes pools of rain water, through the dark fields with his headlights guiding the way. His body charged with rage his body ticking ready to explode.

Back in the Darbar, Peer Haider's heartbeat was racing watching Meh'r-Bano is his private room. He'd heard a lot about her beauty and simplicity but today as she sat at his feet, eyes lowered and gently humming. The woman was stunning. He looked up at the clock. They were supposed to be here hours ago. Once again his phone buzzed.