002 'going to auradon?'

Rewritten - 21.01.24

 Mal snatched a lollipop out of a child's hand, and it began to cry

Mal snatched a lollipop out of a child's hand, and it began to cry. She held up the lollipop triumphantly. Mal's friends laughed. They were pleased with her stunt. Suddenly, a shadow loomed in their path, and all the merchants scampered away, hiding in shops. It could only mean one thing. Henchmen appeared and cleared the way to make room for Her Royal Wickedness, Maleficent, Mistress of Evil. Her horns were wrapped in leather and she carried a scepter, her eyes flashing green. "Hi, Mom," said Mal with a mischievous smile. "Stealing candy, Mal?" said Maleficent. "I'm so disappointed." Mal scrunched up her face. "It was from a baby," she said cheerily, holding out the lollipop.

Mal's friends laughed again at just how very mean she could be. Maleficent smiled. "That's my nasty little girl!" She snatched the lollipop from Mal's hand, spit on it, clamped it in her armpit, and handed it to one of her henchmen. "Give it back to the dreadful creature," Maleficent said, eyes gleaming. "Mom..." Mal said, annoyed at how her mom always had to one-up her. The henchman trotted off to return the lollipop to the mother of the baby.

"It's the deets, Mal, that make the difference between mean and truly evil," said Maleficent. She smiled and waved to the grateful mother. She looked back at Mal. "When I was your age, I was cursing entire kingdoms." She gestured grandly. Mal mouthed along: "Cursing entire kingdoms!" She rolled her eyes. "Walk with me," said Maleficent, putting her hand on her daughter's shoulder and guiding her forward. "See, I'm just trying to teach you the thing that really counts: how to be me." "I know that," said Mal, nodding, "and I'll do better." "Oh! There's news," said Maleficent, whipping around. "I buried the lede!" She pointed at Mal and her friends. "You four have been chosen to go to a different school. In Auradon." At these words, Evie, Jay, and Carlos made to bolt, only to be snatched up by Maleficent's henchmen.

Mal gawked at her mom, eyes widening. Her friends stopped struggling against their captors. "What?" said Mal. "Mom, you have to be joking." "Nope!" said Maleficent. "You'll be joining the bastion of privilege and exclusivity of... Auradon Prep." The words left a sour-apple taste in her mouth. "Mom! I'm not going to some boarding school filled to the brim with prissy pink princesses!" said Mal. "And perfect princes!" said Evie dreamily as she stepped beside Mal. Mal glared at her and Evie's smile vanished.

Bella chuckles thinking about how alike Rosalie is to Mal.

"Ugh!" she said, feigning a look of disgust. "I don't do uniforms," said Jay. "Unless it's leather. You feelin' me?" He grinned and tried to high-five a terrified Carlos, who stepped toward Maleficent. "I read somewhere that they allow dogs in Auradon," Carlos said. "Mom said they're rabid pack animals who eat boys who don't behave." He gulped, unblinking. Jay snuck up to Carlos and barked in his ear. Carlos jumped back and Jay laughed.