01: Room Buddy

The forest is my home away from home. It's the only place where I can escape reality. I can just plug in my headphones and close my eyes, dreaming of some other better place I could be in. The soothing melodic frequences coming from my headphones puts me at peace, and intact with the Earth. The closer I am to Earth, the happiest I will be. Even when it rains and lightning strikes. Even when the sun is shining brighter than other days. Even when the moon comes out and the crisp air begins to seep into the night. I prefer to be out in the forest during the night time. It's more relaxing that way.

Now that we're on the topic, something that's less relaxing is going to be happening in a few hours. I'm finally going on to my new college campus. I'm majoring as an Forensic Scientist. Since I was 5, I've always been into... Dead things. Watching someone else taking the life of another has always been an odd hobby of mine. I'm always watching documentaries on cases of murderers, and anything under that genre. I was always curious on how people would investigate the bodies and how they would catch the culprit. Solving puzzling cases interested me, which brought me into what I'm majoring in now.

I live in the city by myself. My parents are living happily in the countryside. I call them at least twice a week to make sure they're alright. My mom loved the forests and nature just as much as I did. When I was younger, she would walk me into the forest to pick berries for a pie she would always make for my dad's birthday. Ever since then, I've been in love with going out into the forest. She showed me all the tips and tricks of where to find the best spots to hang out and how to not get lost. She told me that when she was about my age, she would sneak out and have fun with her friends in the forest behind her mother's back. Grandma and Grandpa always lived out by the forest. I guess the forest life style runs in the family.

My dad was more of a city guy, but he changed his ways for her. He was raised in a city apartment in New york and stayed there for majority of his life until he met my mom. He always brought up the night they both met each other. It was at a cafe shop. He said she was wearing a plaid strawberry pink dress and her brown chestnut hair was down. I'm sure she was even more beautiful than he described to me that night. He wasted no time, and asked her out after getting her number at the cafe shop. They would always meet there until they had me and moved away when I was old enough to be on my own. The love they both share always warms my heart when I see it in person. A pure, genuine smile of love. I hope I could smile like that one day.

After spending hours under a tree out in the forest, It was finally time to start heading towards my college. I made sure everything was packed before closing my tote bag and placed my headphones in my pocket to cancel out any distractions. It's dangerous out here. Reports of dead bodies have increased, and it will only get larger. I try to stay inside as much as I can, only having a day or two out here alone in the forest. I also make sure to never travel more than 2 miles into the forest. There could be wolves or bears lurking in the deeper side. I'd hate for my parents to get a call in the middle of the night from the hospital announcing my death was from an animal attack in the forest.

I walked back into the city, smiling as I took in the crisp autumn air. Today's going to be a great day. I walked towards the nearest cafe, called MISO. As I opened the door, the scent of Cinnamon rolls along wit espresso was like a smack in the face, in a good way. It smells delightful in here. I walked up to the counter and placed an order for an Iced caramel macchiato along with a cinnamon roll and a chocolate croissant. I'm in for something a little sweet today. I usually go for an iced americano and a plain croissant.

After I grabbed my macchiato and Cinnamon roll, I began to walk towards the college. It wasn't far from the Cafe. It took me 5 minutes to reach the campus. The towering statue of a tiger placed in the middle of the entry let me know that I was now on the campus I was now going to attend for 4 years of my life.