Shunning the Lit of Your Faith

FINN'S POV

It must be a very merry Christmas...
It should be.

But right now, at exactly twelve midnight where people are usually kissing and embracing each other with half-moon eyes and smiles for the occasion... here I am outside the ICU, being embraced by my brother with teary and awful eyes.

"Everything has a reason... Everything will be fine," he assured me.

It should be an encouragement but it seems offensive in my part. How could everything will be okay? How could everything will be fine? Everything's happening is just so unfair!

"How's Cassie? Our baby?" Those are the lines that first came out of my mouth after I woke up in a hospital bed. The last thing I knew, I was driving our car with my pregnant wife who's already in labor and then hit by a truck.

"Finn..." His eyes shows pity. I travelled my gaze and saw those look on my family's eyes. They were all silent but their looks were screaming about something. I don't want that look. I knew my family couldn't ever tell me a lie. Not even with their eyes. What's going on?

"Kuya," I called then he breathed a deep sight. "I want you to be prepared, Finn," he then answered. And I felt my heart skipped a beat. "Mag-pray muna tayo."

May the Lord forgive me for now participating in the prayer but I felt more nervous when my mom and my sisters began to cry in the midst of prayer. Knowing my brother to be a calm man, now his mouth is shaking in prayer.

"Finn... Cassie is in a persistent vegetative state." He began.

Silence.

"W-Where's Cassie?" I managed to stand from my bed but my crying mother and sisters won't let me. I suddenly felt the pain on my head upon realizing that I have a bandage.

I almost begged them to let me go until I fly into a rage. We were sobbing and shouting against one another as the nurses tried to intervene, yet t'was my brother's voice that won back my tranquility.

"Stop fighting, Finn! You also need to think about your son!" He roared. Silence arose for a minute or two before he spoke again. "He's in the Neonatal ICU."

My life turned up-side-down in a single second. Panic and excitement filled my heart when I was still in the car, maneuvering the wheel while hearing the sound of Cassie's painful groan for she is about to give birth to our first baby.

I've even told God, "Finally! After 8 years of marriage, we can finally hold our first child that we prayed and desired for so long."

But why is this the outcome? I couldn't even hold my son, not even my wife. Wyatt, my baby boy, is on his tubes all over his body to cool down his brain because the doctor explained that he lost his brain's oxygen and had a reduced in his cerebral blood flow shortly after his birth. He got a brain damage that could lead to cerebral palsy or epilepsy. Worst case scenario, it could be a life-long disability.

While Cassie, is suffering in a traumatic brain injury in which caused by bleeding in between her skull and brain due to the extreme strike of the truck to our car. Unfortunately, the truck's head fall on the side of the passenger seat, where Cassie was sitting.

"S-Sir..." I turned my gaze to a man who called me. I've notice some wounds on his face and on his arms, his clothes are also a bit dirty. "Ako po 'y-yong driver no'ng truck na nakabangga sa inyo. Gusto ko po sanang—"