Chapter 23

Once the pogues had been back to the Château, they had tried to think of a plan. They were all stressed and scared, which had led to a lot of arguments. When JJ had suggested to either kidnap Rafe or to bail John B out of prison, Malou had given up. She had sighed, sunken into her seat and rubbed her temples, after JJs ideas had given her a massive headache. In the end, they had agreed to split up. Pope wanted to find out more about the key, hoping he would find it and be able to exchange it for the recording that Limbrey had. Kiara wanted to ask her parents for money, so John B could get a lawyer. And Sarah wanted to go back to Tanny Hill to talk to her father, thinking he would help her, when she told him, that she would testify against him and Rafe. Malou and JJ had stayed back in the Château, being told that the best they could do, was to wait and not get in trouble.

"We can be Bonnie and Clyde and do our own mission. Should we bail him out or do you want to kidnap Rafe?", JJ said, after their friends had left for their own missions. He let himself fall onto the couch and watched how Malou looked down on him in disappointment. Shaking her head in disbelief, she closed the door behind her and took off her shoes, before she pointed to JJs feet. Kicking off his shoes, they landed right in front of the couch. Tilting her head, she looked at him again with a clearly pissed face. Sighing, JJ stood up to put his shoes on the doormat neatly.

"So?", he asked again, when Malou walked up to the kitchen counter. JJ followed her and easily caught the towel she threw at him.

"We're not gonna do anything.", Malou answered while she filled the sink with warm water and detergent.

"You really want to stay here and just wait? We don't have time for that.", JJ contradicted as he started to dry the dishes that Malou cleaned.

"I know you want to help him, JJ, but kidnapping Rafe or bailing him out of prison will only make things worse. Can you just try for once to be realistic?"

"You want me to be realistic? You're being naïve if you think, that we have any chance to get him out there in a legal way. We're pogues, Malou. We've lost a million times now against Ward Cameron and his henchmen, we don't have a fucking chance. We can only win if we start playing with their means." Still cleaning the dishes, Malou slowly shook her head at JJs words.

"I'm not being naïve. I'm just choosing the right way, even when it's the hard one. You were the one who told me that, remember?", Malou replied calmly and heard JJ sigh. He stayed quiet, knowing, that she was right, but not wanting to accept it. They cleaned the dishes and the kitchen counter in silence and the way JJ didn't look at her, Malou knew, that he was up to something.

"JJ, please promise me, that you won't do anything stupid.", Malou said as she put down the towel and wiped her hands off her shorts. JJ sighed, still looking around the room to avoid her gaze.

"We just got him back. I can't accept to lose him again.", JJ replied a little quieter this time and stuffed his hands into his pockets while leaning against the counter.

"I know, ok? I know. But you won't be much of a help if you end up in the cell next to him.", Malou said and walked up to him. She wrapped her arms around his waist and leant against him as she looked up to him, only to see him stare ahead.

"I need you here, JJ. I need you with me.", she confessed quietly and saw how JJs face suddenly softened, when he realized, what was really going on. Finally looking down at her, JJ cupped her face with his hands gently.

"I promise not to do anything stupid."

"Thank you.", Malou mumbled and rested her head on his chest. JJ wrapped his arms around her shoulders and placed his chin on her head as he held her close to his chest. Malou breathed out deeply and closed her eyes, hoping that the hug would last forever.