The World Without the Cemetery

The four scientists looked at the portal with a mix of excitement and fear. They had spent months working on their project, using quantum computers and advanced physics to create a device that could open a gateway to another reality. They had tested it on small objects, like coins and books, and confirmed that they could send and retrieve them from different dimensions. But this was the first time they would try it on themselves.

They had chosen a reality where the cemetery never existed. The cemetery was a large plot of land in the outskirts of Hargeisa, where thousands of people were buried after the civil war that ravaged Somaliland in the early 1990s. The cemetery was a symbol of the pain and suffering that their country had endured, and also a reminder of the resilience and hope that their people had shown. The scientists wanted to see what their world would be like if that tragedy had never happened.

Abdi, the computer scientist, was the leader of the group. He had designed the software that controlled the portal and calculated the coordinates of the target reality. He checked the readings on his laptop and nodded. "Everything is ready. We have a stable connection to reality number 3749. That's the one where the cemetery never existed."

Dr. Aaden, the physicist, was the oldest and most experienced of the group. He had supervised the construction of the portal and ensured that it followed the laws of nature. He looked at his colleagues and smiled. "This is it, my friends. We are about to make history. Are you ready?"

Fudama, the quantum mechanic, was the youngest and most enthusiastic of the group. She had helped with the programming and testing of the portal, and was eager to explore new worlds. She clapped her hands and said, "Yes, let's do this! I can't wait to see what's on the other side!"

Halima, the biologist, was the most cautious and skeptical of the group. She had joined the project to study the effects of interdimensional travel on living organisms, and to ensure that they did not bring back any harmful pathogens or parasites. She looked at the portal with a frown and said, "Are you sure this is safe? What if something goes wrong? What if we can't come back?"

Abdi reassured her. "Don't worry, Halima. We have taken all the necessary precautions. We have a backup generator, a fail-safe switch, and a communication device. We will be in constant contact with each other and with our base here. We will only stay for an hour, and then we will return. Trust me, nothing will go wrong."

He handed each of them a backpack with some supplies and equipment, and a wristband with a button that would activate the portal if they needed to return urgently. He then put on his own backpack and wristband, and said, "OK, let's go."

He walked towards the portal, followed by Dr. Aaden, Fudama, and Halima. They stepped through the shimmering circle of light, and disappeared.

On the other side, they found themselves in a different Hargeisa. It looked similar to their own city, but there were some noticeable differences. The buildings were taller and newer, the streets were cleaner and busier, and the people were happier and more prosperous.

They walked around, amazed by what they saw. They saw schools and hospitals, shops and restaurants, parks and gardens. They saw people wearing colorful clothes and driving modern cars. They saw signs of peace and progress everywhere.

They realized that this was a reality where Somaliland had never suffered from war or poverty, where it had developed into a thriving nation with a strong economy and a stable democracy.

They were impressed by how much better this world was than their own.

They decided to visit some landmarks that they knew from their own reality, to see how they differed.

They went to see the Independence Monument, which in their world was a statue of a man holding a flag with a star on it, symbolizing Somaliland's declaration of independence from Somalia in 1991.

In this world, they saw a different statue. It was a statue of a woman holding a torch with a flame on it, symbolizing Somaliland's liberation from colonialism in 1960.

They learned that in this reality, Somaliland had never joined Somalia in 1960 as part of a union that later turned sour. Instead, it had remained independent as a sovereign state since 1960.

They wondered how that had changed their history.

They went to see the Presidential Palace, which in their world was a modest building surrounded by guards and barbed wire.

In this world, they saw a grand building surrounded by gardens and fountains.

They learned that in this reality, Somaliland had never experienced dictatorship or corruption as part of Somalia's regime from 1969 to 1991. Instead, it had maintained a democratic system of government since 1960.

They wondered how that had changed their politics.

They went to see the University of Hargeisa, which in their world was a small and underfunded institution with limited resources and facilities.

In this world, they saw a large and prestigious institution with state-of-the-art resources and facilities.

They learned that in this reality, Somaliland had never suffered from illiteracy or ignorance as part of Somalia's neglect and oppression from 1977 to 1991. Instead, it had invested in education and science since 1960.

They wondered how that had changed their culture.

They went to see the cemetery, which in their world was a vast and desolate area with thousands of graves and memorials.

In this world, they saw nothing.

They learned that in this reality, Somaliland had never endured violence or death as part of Somalia's civil war from 1988 to 1991. Instead, it had avoided conflict and bloodshed since 1960.

They wondered how that had changed their lives.

They realized that this was a reality where the cemetery never existed, because there was no need for it.

They were moved by how much better this world was than their own.

They decided to talk to some people who lived in this world, to learn more about them.

They met a young man named Ahmed, who was a student at the University of Hargeisa. He was studying computer science, like Abdi.

They asked him about his life, his dreams, his hopes.

He told them that he was happy and fulfilled. He loved his country, his family, his friends. He enjoyed his studies, his hobbies, his activities. He had many opportunities, many choices, many possibilities. He wanted to become a successful software engineer, and contribute to the development of his nation and the world.

He asked them where they were from, what they did, what they wanted.

They told him that they were from another reality, where things were very different. They told him about their project, their portal, their exploration. They told him about their world, where things were much worse. They told him about the cemetery, and what it meant.

He listened to them with curiosity and compassion. He was shocked and saddened by what they said. He could not imagine living in such a world. He wondered how they coped, how they survived, how they hoped.

He told them that he was sorry for what they had gone through. He told them that he admired their courage, their resilience, their ambition. He told them that he was glad that they had found a way to visit his world. He told them that he hoped that they would find some happiness and peace here.

He offered to show them more of his world, to introduce them to his friends, to invite them to his home.

They accepted his offer with gratitude and curiosity. They wanted to see more of this world, to meet more of its people, to experience more of its joys.

They followed him as he led them to more places, more sights, more wonders.

They felt a strange mix of emotions as they explored this world. They felt awe and admiration for its beauty and prosperity. They felt envy and regret for its happiness and peace. They felt curiosity and interest for its culture and history. They felt sadness and longing for their own world.

They wondered if they could ever belong here.

They wondered if they should ever go back.