Lost in Reality

The four scientists looked at the portal with a mix of excitement and fear. They had spent months working on the device that could open a gateway to another reality, one where the history of the world was different. They had tested it on small objects, like coins and books, and found that they could retrieve them from the other side with no harm done. But now, they were about to take the ultimate risk: sending themselves through the portal.

They had chosen a reality where the Horn of Africa never existed, based on a random number generator. They wanted to see how the absence of their homeland would affect the rest of the world, and how different their lives would be in that scenario. They had prepared for the worst, wearing protective suits and carrying weapons and supplies. They had also set up a timer that would close the portal after an hour, in case they couldn't find their way back.

They decided to go in pairs, with Abdi and Dr. Aaden going first, followed by Faduma and Halima. Abdi was the leader of the project, a brilliant computer scientist who had designed the software that controlled the portal. Dr. Aaden was a physicist who had developed the theory behind the device, based on quantum mechanics and string theory. Faduma was a quantum mechanic who had built the hardware that generated the portal, using exotic materials and advanced technology. Halima was a biologist who had studied the possible effects of crossing realities on living organisms, and who had also provided medical support for the team.

Abdi and Dr. Aaden stepped into the portal, holding hands. They felt a strange sensation, as if they were falling and flying at the same time. They saw flashes of light and colors, and heard distorted sounds and voices. Then, everything went black.

They woke up in a field of grass, under a clear blue sky. They looked around, and saw no sign of civilization. No buildings, no roads, no cars, no people. Just nature, as far as they could see.

"Where are we?" Abdi asked.

"I don't know," Dr. Aaden said. "But it doesn't look like Africa."

They checked their GPS device, which was supposed to show them their location in both realities. But it only showed a blank screen.

"It's not working," Abdi said. "Maybe it's broken."

"Or maybe there's no signal here," Dr. Aaden said. "Maybe this reality doesn't have satellites or wireless networks."

They tried to contact Faduma and Halima through their radios, but they only heard static.

"Maybe they haven't arrived yet," Abdi said.

"Or maybe they're in a different place," Dr. Aaden said.

They decided to wait for them, hoping that they would show up soon. They also hoped that the portal was still open, and that they could return to their own reality.

Meanwhile, Faduma and Halima entered the portal, after checking that everything was ready. They felt the same sensation as Abdi and Dr. Aaden, but they also noticed something else: a slight pain in their heads.

"Are you okay?" Faduma asked Halima.

"I'm fine," Halima said. "Just a headache."

They thought it was nothing serious, just a side effect of crossing realities. They ignored it, and focused on their destination.

They woke up in a city, under a cloudy sky. They looked around, and saw skyscrapers, cars, buses, people. A typical urban scene.

"Where are we?" Halima asked.

"I don't know," Faduma said. "But it looks like America."

They checked their GPS device, which showed them their location in both realities: New York City.

"It's working," Faduma said.

"But how did we end up here?" Halima asked.

"Maybe the portal is unstable," Faduma said. "Maybe it sends us to random places."

They tried to contact Abdi and Dr. Aaden through their radios, but they only heard static.

"Maybe they're too far away," Halima said.

"Or maybe they're in a different reality," Faduma said.

They decided to explore the city, hoping to find some clues about this reality. They also hoped that the portal was still open, and that they could return to their own reality.