Nationals got here quicker than expected. Jayden had spent the week in Los Angeles hanging out with Iris, Leilani, and August. They'd done everything from swimming to seeing the Eras Tour movie to sneaking out past curfew to explore the city at night.

But when competition day finally arrived, all the excitement and anticipation turned into the worst anxiety Jadelynn Berry-July's ever felt in her entire 17 years of life.

"Breathe, my nervous pequeña princesa," Santana said softly as she walked up behind Jayden and hugged her shoulders. She put a hand on her bouncing knee to still it and kissed her cheek before sitting down next to her at the vanity. "Is your mom here yet?"

"Not yet." Jayden sighed as she brushed a make-up brush across her cheek. "She's stuck in traffic, but she should be here soon." She applied a layer of dark red lipstick, gasping in protest when Santana snatched it from her. "Tana! Give that back."

"This is so not your color, tater tot." Santana reached for a make-up remover wipe. She held the younger girl's chin and wiped the lipstick off before replacing it with a lighter pink color. "There. That's much better."

"4 years later and you're still babying me." Jayden giggled softly.

"4 years later and you're still my baby," Santana replied, smirking when Jayden blushed. "How much time do you have before you're supposed to perform?" she asked. "I'd say we have time for a quickie in the girl's bathroom if we sneak away now."

"Keep it in your pants, Santana, that is my daughter you're talking to," Cassandra July said as she walked backstage. Jayden jumped up and ran to hug her mom.

Santana raised her hands in surrender and stood up. "I'll go save you a seat, Ms. July," she politely said. "Break a leg, Jay-Jay."

"Thanks, Tan-Tan." Jayden smiled at her girlfriend. She pulled out of her mom's embrace and sat back down to finish up her hair and make-up, her knee resuming its anxious bouncing.

"So, on a scale of 1 to choking like your sister..." Cassie began as Jayden stifled a laugh, "how nervous are you?"

"Um...I'd say maybe 8," Jayden confessed as she took a curling iron to her hair. "I'm not so nervous that I think I'm gonna forget the words, but I'm nervous enough to feel like I'm gonna throw up on stage like that girl in Pitch Perfect."

"Why is that?" Cassie asked.

Jayden sighed. She set the curling iron down and rested her hands in her lap, her gaze fixated on the bottom row of lights on the mirror of the vanity. "This is my last competition...It means a lot to everyone that we win, and Sue said she'd cancel the club if we didn't...But knowing Sue Sylvester, she'll probably cancel it either way." Jayden leaned back in her chair. "I just...I really don't want to let anyone down..." She looked up at her mom. "Especially you."

Cassie smiled softly. She reached out and placed a gentle hand on her daughter's knee to stop it from bouncing. "You're not going to let anyone down, Jade. I've seen how amazing your writing is. You're incredible. I mean, you wrote that song for nationals 2 years ago when you were 15. That's a lot of talent for someone your age."

"I think this song is gonna blow Who Are You out of the water," Jayden said, nodding. "I'm really proud of how it turned out."

"I can't wait to hear it." Cassie smiled when Jayden did too. "But, before you go on stage...I have something for you."

Jayden watched curiously as Cassie took a folded up sheet of paper out of her purse. She took it when she handed it to her and carefully unfolded it, a small gasp falling from her lips as she read the letter.