Julia felt her body shrink under her oversized hoodie, "Well... I can still be a soldier without any special abilities or magic. I mean, military soldiers only get mundane training, and they still go to war..."

Rick snorted, "There are no human soldiers anymore. Robots took over the military ages ago. You being a powerless Willower would be you fighting a robot." He said with emphasis, more emotion than ever.

Julia opened her mouth to speak, but Rick raised a hand and continued, "You have to decide based on what comes up. You may take your general supervisors' word when they send you on a mission, but they don't know. Because their stupid little..." He made an insulting gesture with his hands, "Trinkets can never predict accurately what you're up against. And then one day, you'll find something more powerful than what you can handle, and by the time backup is there... well..." Rick said bitterly, "It'll be too late." His left eye twitched.

Julia swallowed, seeing the memory of Erick behind his watery eyes. He was talking about his older brother who died a Willower.

His death was a heavy hit to his family, who never agreed for him to become one in the first place. But she knew what she was after... she wasn't becoming one because she knew she was going to survive. It was because she wanted to feel alive. Because her family would be better off if she found her own path. Because her sister still needed to be taken care of.

"I understand your pain. But I'm not your brother." Julia said. Rick stepped out of the booth as if slapped. The view customers who drank in silence glanced at them over their glass of beer. Curious.

"Not MY BROTHER!? So that makes you somehow different? Are you stupid!? You're going to DIE, JULIA!" Rick raised his voice. It was out of character for him. Gone was the calm and composed young man she had come to know.

"Shhh... Rick calm down. There are people watching."

It made him even more angry. Rick grabbed his leather jacket from the chair and then gestured for her to move.

"We're leaving?"

"Now."

"Alright." Julia grabbed her sports bag and then went ahead while Rick paid for the tab.

The cold evening air stood still on the narrow path, biting at her ankles as she tried to calm down. It was just Rick it was her childhood friend, her neighborhood big brother. He couldn't stay mad at her. Julia told herself, eyeing the blinking lights mounted on the wall.

Behind her, Rick stepped out, "He paid for it. He paid for the bill."

"That's kind of him."

"I can't believe you've been training all of this time and you don't even have mana. I just can't believe it. You're sending yourself to die." Rick took off his cap in frustration, the length of his black hair fell over his flushed face. It was easy to forget how long his hair was with his cap on all the time.

"But then at least my family will get financial support from Callico... for life," Julia said and even as she said it she doubted whether she should have said it at all. It had hit Rick, as if physically. The guy held on to the nearby table for support. His blushed face seemed to drain from color.

"Wait... that's your reasoning... that's your plan?"

"Well, you managed to get higher education now because of what he did... my parents are going to sell everything they have to get me to school." Julia reasoned.

Rick grabbed her by the shoulders, letting her sports bag fall on the pavement, "So you can have a chance at a normal life!"

Julia shook him off, "What? So I can work in a cubicle for the rest of my life trying to live in a place I can barely afford while my family struggles to pay rent? We live in the west district, Rick! There is no other place cheaper than this! What about my sister? How long do you think it is to graduate? And then how much would I earn? Do you think I can afford my family?" Julia asked angrily.

"Julia..."

"Maybe that kind of life is good for you but I want to know what it means to feel like I'm alive. I don't just want to survive I want to live." She insisted, picking her rusted sports bag from the ground. She fought the tears threatening to fall.

"Julia, please... I... I can't lose you too." Rick said, defeated. His voice seemed heavy as he went on, "There's nothing I can do to stop you, is there?"

"No, Rick. This is my life and I will live it." Julia answered without looking at him. She feared if she did, she might not be able to walk away. Her heart ached for him. It took everything in her to seem as if nothing touched her before she walked away, but before she did, "Get another set of clothes, will you? You look like a drug dealer!"

Rick laughed dryly, "Thank you for the fashion advice, I'll bring a rose to your grave when you get there." He shot back. And it hurts, but Julia didn't respond. She went on, and although Rick followed not far behind her, Julia let her tears fall.