flashback - eleven months ago

jamie sat on chris' bed, scrolling through her phone while chris was downstairs getting something. summer was just about to end and the two were about to start their junior year of high school. chris walks in suddenly, holding a target bag and holds a pot of orchids, her favorite flower.

"what's this?" jamie asked, confused. she was here for the past hour and there was no way chris had just ran to target in back in five minutes.

"jamie, do you remember how we met?" chris asked, sitting next to her. jamie thought for a moment. 

"it was first grade orientation. you were coloring in the disney coloring book and i wanted to color the lightning mcqueen that you were about to start."

"and?"

"and you refused to rip the lightning mcqueen out so i stole the coloring book, ripped out the page, and gave it back. you started to cry." jamie smiled at the memory. chris' cheeks turned pink.

"i don't think i cried, but whatever. what happened next?"

"um..." jamie closed her eyes and tried to think. after a moment she opened them and her eyes lit up. "oh! i felt bad so i put the page between us so we could color lightning mcqueen together. and matt felt left out so we ripped out the pinocchio page for him." chris laughed before opening the target bag. jamie gasped when she saw the disney coloring book in his hands. "is that..." 

"i wanted to let you color the lightning mcqueen yourself." chris said, opening the book to a bookmarked page. on one page was lightning mcqueen and on the other was tiana, jamie's favorite princess. chris pulled out a pack of colored pencils. "i'll color tiana and you can do mcqueen." he remembered the orchids next to him. "also, i did some digging and i found out that exactly ten years ago today was our first grade orientation."

"oh my god." jamie looked at chris. "this is so cute, chris." she leaned in for a kiss. "i love you so much." she said. while they had been dating for over three years, this was jamie's first time saying 'i love you.' chris smiled as he kissed her back.

"i love you, too."

flashback over.

it used to be a happy memory. but jamie got so emotional thinking about it, she had to excuse herself to the bathroom. she wondered if this is the one chris was talking about. jamie wiped her eyes before walking out of the bathroom. when she returned to class, she could feel chris looking at her, but she refused. she couldn't look at him. not without that memory coming back. 

taking a deep breath, jamie began to write. by the time class was over, she had written over a page and a half and she was proud of herself. that is, until she realized her classmates, including chris, had over two pages done already. leaving the class with a sigh, jamie met with isaiah and told him about what had happened as they walked to math class.