Ch.6

I timidly followed Dylan into his office.

He went to sit a his desk while I stood at the door idly.

He looked up at me and sighed. "Alexandra, sit down!"

Whenever he used my full name I knew that I was in trouble. I sat, refusing to make any eye contact with him.

Pretending oblivion. Never a wise thing to do.

"Don't even begin to act like you don't know why I called you in here." I could feel his gaze on me while he spoke.

"Why didn't you tell me that you and Ted had..... something going on?" He asked accusingly.

I swung around my head to look at him so fast that I got slightly whiplashed.

While rubbing my neck to ease the pain I asked,"Is that what you're upset about?"

"Me and Ted?"

He looked angrier. "So there is something going on between you guys."

"No! Not at all. Why... Why would you even think that I would get involved with him? Ted and I are just friends!"

His face had a look of disbelief and he leaned over his desk to get a closer look at me. He looked straight into my eyes as if trying to determine whether or not I was telling the truth.

"If you are not in a relationship with him, why were you....why was he...what were you doing to him?"

I jumped up to my defense. "It's not what it looked like."

"Oh really? So tell me, Alexandra, what was it?"

I said in a soft voice, "I didn't know it was him behind me."

Dylan got up and walked around to me so that he was standing directly in front of me. "So basically what you're saying is that you have no qualms about doing it. It just happened to be with the wrong person."

He lowered his voice down a notch. "Who did you think it was?"

My breath hitched.

I started to over think his question. What should I tell him? This could make or break my plan, but his close proximity to me was nerve racking.

I put on my game face and sidled up closer to him.

Now, I could feel his warm breath on my face.

I leaned towards his ear and whispered, "I thought it was you."

As I said that, I pulled away slowly in order to see the expression on his face.

His eyes were now dark seemingly with anticipation. I watched how his chest heaved. I smirked at him and turned to walk away.

Before I could fully turn, he grabbed my armed and pulled me closer to him. It was my turn to get frazzled. The strangest look graced his face. A look of determination. He whispered to me, "Remember that I know you better than anyone else. You should be careful."

************************************

As I drove towards my Gram's house to pick her up for dinner, I pondered over his words.

Be careful. Be careful.

What the heck did he mean by that?

Thankfully, it was the weekend and I could continue to think over the rest of my plan.

I pulled up to the complex and got her to buzz me in. I took the elevator up third floor which was kind of lazy.

I got to Grams' door and before I even knocked twice, it was flung open.

"Oh hun, look at you! Come give your Grams a hug!" She pulled me into a tight hug.

I laughed at her enthusiasm. "Grams, your crushing me. We need to leave now if we want to make it on time."

She looked at me with her usual sass. "Sweetie, they'll understand that it takes time to look this good."

I laughed as she made her way back into her room to collect her bag.

* * *

Along the drive to the restaurant , I kept getting drilled about when I intended to have children and when I was planning to settle down.

I was mentally exhausted by the time we got there.

Before we went inside the steakhouse, Gram pulled me to a stop.

"You look really nice tonight."

I looked at her and shook my head.

" Thanks Gram, so do you. Again..."

She smiled and tugged me towards the inside. She didn't even wait for us to be given a table.

When we got towards a table at the back, I realized why she questioned me along the way and why she kept complimenting me.

I looked down at her and fiercely whispered," Why in the world would you invite HIM?"