three.

ELENA WENT TO VISIT KATHERINE yesterday and she had learned a lot

First, she had learned from Rose, who had followed them back to Mystic Falls, that Klaus was the one she should be afraid of.

Then she learned from Katherine the reason she should be afraid of Klaus.

Supposedly, Klaus would hunt her down because he needed a sacrifice -- the sacrifice being her: the Petrova doppelgänger. He needed to drain every ounce of blood from her body to complete a ritual.

Although the idea of dying was terrible, there was a worse part.

It wasnt just her he needed for the ritual.

Klaus would also need a vampire, a werewolf, and a witch -- which meant not only was she in trouble, but so were her friends.

This was all Elena could think about as she laid in her bed.

She hadn't slept all night, because the thought of her friends dying had plagued her mind.

Klaus needed her sacrifice, and she accepted that. But her friends sacrifice she wouldn't accept, and she would find a way to stop them dying.

•••

Elena was making herself a drink when she heard a knock on the front door.

She sighed and walked to the door. When she opened it, she wasn't surprised when she saw Stefan and Damon on the other side.

Couldn't she have one day without them barging through her house?

Elena noticed that their expressions were downcast, and wondered what they had done now.

She raised an eyebrow.

"Hi, uh, can we talk?" Stefan asked, after sighing.

"Why?"

"We went to see Katherine," Damon said.

Elena frowned, not understanding why they would go to her when she already knew everything she needed to know.

"Come on in," she said, opening her door wider.

The walk to the kitchen was silent, and Elena relished the silence while lasted.

When they reached the kitchen, Elena leant against the door frame and watched the brothers fidget around the counter.

They told her about how Katherine had told them that if they got her out of the tomb, she would give them the moonstone.