Do Not Tell Me Not To Protect You

Start from the beginning

" We're going back to Hogwarts!" He says excitedly. " Your parents sent an owl last night to pick you up this morning"

" I've been missing the silk Slytherin sheets" I sigh.

" Seriously? Of all things? You miss the sheets?" He asks quizzically. At this point Tom has reentered the room looking angry as per usual.

" Before you start flirting as per usual could we please get on with this?" He says straight faced

" We weren't going to flirt Tom" Mattheo rolls his eyes at me in a knowing way.

I race to pack a trunk for myself and before I know it we are out the door and at platform 9 3/4.

The train is of course empty, because honestly who travels to school halfway through the year?

" You look stressed" I say bringing up the crease in his forehead and the wrinkle of his brow.

" I'm worried for your safety" he says seriously.

" I can defend myself. Plus Hogwarts is safe now the war is over. Not to mention I'm a death eater. Don't worry" I say patting the top of his hand. His eyes meet mine and his gaze darkens.

" Don't tell me not to worry about you. I'll always worry about you" he says sharply before looking back out the window.

" I swear you treat me like your little sister sometimes" I say trying not to sound to disappointed with this observation.

" I obviously don't think of you that way" he says under his breath.

" I don't know if it's obvious Theo but whatever" I say. His face softens at the use of his nickname.

" I just can't lose you Maya. Im not taking any chances" he says.

It's moments like these that I can't help but wonder if there's any hope for us at all.

******

It is officially my first evening at school and I would be a boring fool to spend it in my dorm room isolated once again from all my friends.

At exactly eleven AM on the dot I slide out of bed and creep out into the familiar hallways where I meet up with my friends Pansy and Luna. The three of us wander and talk, although I stay quiet knowing they aren't the same as me. They do nit live the same life. They are fighting for good, I remind myself.

" So Luna has a girlfriend, I'm hitting it off with Zambini, what about you May? Any boys?" Pansy asks nudging my shoulder.

" Pff me? I don't have time for boys" I lie dodging their question.

" Your kidding me!" Pansy raises her voice.

" What?" I ask urging her to lower her voice in the echoing halls.

" I think we both just assumed you and Riddle would have gotten together by now" Luna whispers. " I mean it has been a year"

Before I am given the opportunity to respond to her outrages assumption we are got red handed by Filch. Parkinson's yelling had gotten his attention.

" Ah Slytherins and Ravenclaws. Wondering the halls this late?" He grumbles. " Not on my watch. The Inquisitorial squad will be here shortly to detain you" he snickers. I shoot Pansy and agitated look.

" Shit" I mumble under my breath. There's one boy in particular I hope was not called down tonight.

" Well well we'll if it isn't Parkinson, Looney Lovegood, and May Riddle. Oh sorry I meant May Parks" Draco Malfoy sneers at us clearly thinking his little joke was funny.