"Hey guys," I greet, setting my homework aside. "Hola Linsley," Gloria smiles warmly.

"Manny brought his favorite game for Luke to play," she informs Mom. "It's called Empire. You use strategy to expand territories and take over the world," he explains, clearly excited.

"Luke is going to love that. He's out back playing," Mom replies to Manny with a warm smile. "Do you need me to get you something while I'm out shopping?" Gloria asks Mom kindly.

"That's such a nice offer, but I think we're good. Thanks," Mom declines the offer with a smile. "Gloria, can I go shopping with you? I don't have plans today," I ask, hoping to join her.

"I'd love to! We can have a girl's afternoon; how does that sound?" Gloria suggests enthusiastically. "Awesome!" I respond with a cheerful grin.

I then turn to Mom, my excitement evident. "Mom, can I please go?" I ask. "Sure, honey," she agrees.

Alex walks out wearing a blue top that looks like she borrowed it from a grandma. "Okay, what about this?" she asks, her attention fixed on her outfit and seemingly unaware of Manny and Mom's presence.

"You don't even say hello to Gloria and Manny?" Mom remarks skipping over Alex's question.

"Hi Gloria and Manny," Alex says irritably, waving her hand dismissively at them.

She turns back to Mom, her focus back on her top. "Okay, Mom, what about this?"

"You do realize we're going to a wedding, not a funeral, right?" I interject with a touch of sass. "I didn't ask for your advice," Alex retorts, her annoyance evident.

"I know," I admit with a sheepish smile.

"Linsley, can you for once in your life not be sarcastic? And no, you're wearing a dress," Mom says stubbornly, not even bothering to glance at Alex.

Alex throws her head back, exasperated. "Mom, come on," she whines.

"What? It's going to hurt you to look like a girl for one afternoon?" Mom asks, her annoyance evident as she turns towards Alex.

"Who knows," I whisper to Gloria with a wry smile. "But it's a wedding for some friends of yours I've never even heard of," Alex objects, giving a tug at Mom's arm.

"It's non-negotiable, you could borrow a dress of Hailey's again," Mom suggests. "No, that sends an ugly message that I'm Haley," She retorts, and I nod in agreement with her.

"You know, instead of trying to convince me to wear a dress, why don't you worry about getting Luke to wear some pants," Alex remarks, gesturing toward the window.

Outside, Luke was bouncing on the trampoline in his underwear with a cardboard box on his head.

"What?" Mom says, turning to the window. "Why does he do this?" She knocks on the window to get his attention. "Luke! Pants! Come on," Mom exclaims. She walks back to the counter and continues making cookies.

"Alex, why don't you come shopping with me and Linsley? Maybe I can help you find something that you like," Gloria suggests, stroking Alex's hair.

"It's a really nice offer," Mom says to Gloria, glancing at Alex, "but it's not really her thing."

Alex raises an eyebrow. "Actually, I'd love to go," she says with a sly grin. "See, you don't know what my thing is. You have no idea what my thing is."

"I know what your thing is," Mom says, her voice almost whispering. "Your thing is to provoke, just like your older sister's thing is to never come out of her room, your twin's thing is to always be sarcastic. And your brother's thing..." Mom trails off, her gaze shifting towards the window, "There's your brother's thing."