chapter 8= Gifts.

Julia's POV

As I slowly opened my eyes after falling asleep, I saw the blurred area of my bedroom.

I was home.

The North Pole. The workshop...

Bernard.

It all felt like a dream.

I rubbed my tired eyes and my bedroom came into focus.

The room was silent.

I slowly tossed my sheets aside, and slid my slippers on.

I made my bed, a dazed feeling swirling around inside my head.

As I entered the bathroom, my eyes slowly adjusted to the sun shining through the windows. I looked in the mirror above the sink, and saw something. I touched my finger to a cut on the side of my head with two thin strips of white tape crossing over it.

So.... It wasn't a dream?

As I slowly stepped down the stairs, I heard the fierce unwrapping of paper. I assumed that was Charlie.

I slowly stepped into the living room to see the whole area decked head to toe in cheery folderol, tinsel, fairy lights, and a large Christmas tree in the living area.

"Hey, Jules! Merry Christmas!" Charlie exclaimed, jumping up, mid-unwrap, ran up to me, and hugged me.

"Oh, hey, bud! Merry Christmas!" I hugged him back.

"Check it out! I'm guessing Bernard helped deliver the rest of the presents since Dad's not fully prepared yet!" Charlie's words confused me as he sauntered over to the half unwrapped gift.

"Huh?" I looked at my brother with a dumbfounded expression.

"And I can see Bernard treated that cut on the side of your head like he said he would!" Charlie smiled as he pointed to the sealed up wound.

"Where's dad?" I added, looking around the room.

"He's still in bed," he reached behind the back of the Christmas tree, and pulled out three presents, a small one, a medium-sized one, and quite a large one. "These three are for you!"

"Oh! Who from?" I asked.

Charlie just shrugged as he sat back down on the floor and fiercely unwrapped his present.

I held the three stacked presents in my hand.

I walked over to the sofa and plopped myself down onto the couch.

I saw a note on top of the stack. I traced my fingers over my name
'Julia' written in swirley lettering on the front of the envelope.

I smiled to myself at the thought someone left me presents, and a letter.

I slowly picked it up, feeling like if I held it too tight, it would melt away in my hands.

I turned it over, flipped the seal strip up, and took a piece of parchment paper out from the envelope.

I slowly unfolded it and saw a paragraph of swirley calligraphy.

'Dear Julia,

Merry Christmas! I thought you could use something to cheer you up, and hopefully make you realize...
The North Pole was not a dream! Open the medium-sized present first, then the large one, and leave the small one until last! I just thought it was a friendly thing to do!
No one shouldn't have even the smallest present for Christmas!

Have a good day!

Bernard xxx'

I couldn't help but smile. He was so kind to give me gifts. I would never ask an elf to give me Christmas presents. I thought it would sound rude. But he chose to give me gifts... And I'm grateful for him.