Chapter 6

Kai

My mother and Juliette watch me closely as I put on my shoes. Once they are tied, I stand up and look at them. "And?" I ask and look at myself in the mirror. I wear a white blouse with a black suit vest, a black jacket around it and black pants that match the other clothing. "Yesterday you were playing in the mud." My mother says with a weak smile. "And now you're a grown man. Where did the time go?" I chuckle and shake my head. "You look really good Kai." Juliette says happily. "Thank you for picking out the clothes." I say and turn around. "Oh, that was Aaron. When it comes to clothes, I leave that up to him." Juliette says. That doesn't surprise me. My father claims he has a secret fashion blog.

Tonight is my first official mission. There is a gala with the most important people on earth. Contracts are signed and deals are made. Even though the gala is not intended for that at all. But business people do what they do best. Do business.
There is a good chance that Nova will appear tonight. Warner says her boss has big plans and needs several contracts for that. Those contracts must be signed by the big businessmen and rulers. Of course they don't do that of their own free will. So Nova will trick them into signing.

I can't believe I have a chance to see her again tonight. Would she recognize me? How will she react? Would she be happy to see me again? It's been almost 10 years.
I have to remind myself that she is dangerous. She coerced and hurt people. But who hurt her is what worries me most.

"Are you nervous?" My mother asks. "No not really." I lie and pick away a piece of fluff that isn't there. Then I look at them. "Don't you have to.... Change? You're going to the ball too, right?" "Yes, we're going..." Julliette is interrupted when my father walks into the room. He looks at me with big eyes. "Holy shit. I knew the day would come one day. But I didn't know it would be today." He says and dramatically places his hand on his forehead and leans his body back. "My own son, is more handsome than me." He says and sobs exaggeratedly. Julliette chuckles and my mother rolls her eyes and pulls my father towards her. "Luckily for you, you're still perfect for me." She says. My father pulls her into his arms and looks at her. "Happy me." He says and is about to kiss her. "Oohw stop!" I shout and squeeze my eyes shut and wave my hand. "Go get dirty in your own room." I say and turn around. I hear my father chuckle. Secretly I'm jealous of their love. Just like Juliette's and Warner's. They are perfect for each other. I would call them soul mates. I thought that was Emma and I. That it was right. But not so. So I ask myself, what is real love?

Okay. We're going to get changed." Juliette says and I look at her. "It's going to be a long evening." She says and looks at her cell phone. Then she looks back at me. "Aaron is already at the office. He's waiting for you." I nod. "I'll see you later." My mother walks over to me and kisses my cheek. "Good luck." "Thanks, mom." She walks out of the room with Julliette and my father.

I grab my things and walk towards Warner's office. When I arrive his door is ajar. "I think it's a bad idea." I hear Richard, a trainer of mine said. "He may be 19. But that doesn't make him an adult for this mission." I stand still. Richard doesn't think I'm good enough. In his training he has never given me a compliment or anything. But I thought I was on his good side. "My wife was 18 when she changed the world. Kenji and I were 20. It's not about age. It's about the moment. And this is the right time for Kai." I hear Warner say. "You know how important this night is Warner." "That's exactly why. Have some faith in him. Kai knows how important this mission is. He will do everything he can to bring Nova to us." Warner is right. I'm focused and I know everyone trusts me. Well, most of them. "Fine. But if he messes up I'll put him back in training and it'll be 10x harder work until I say it's good enough." I hear Richard say and I hear his footsteps coming towards me.

Shit, he's coming this way.  I quickly look around to come up with a plan.  Then I take a few steps back and then walk forward again as if I were just walking by.  Richard walks out of Warner's office .  He looks at my outfit and then looks at me.  "I'll see you Monday morning at 6:00."  He says bluntly and walks away.  I watch him go and then look at the office where Warner is standing in the doorway.  He is wearing a dark blue suit and I wonder if that is the clothing he is wearing for tonight.  Because Warner always looks like he can go to the most expensive and important events.  My dad once threw a pajama party for the whole neighborhood and even then Warner just wore a suit while Juliette wore her Stitch onsie.