01 - Big Reveal

***

***

I've always dreamt of going to college. Because I wasn't American born-and-raised kid, I used to hold on to this fantasy of Ivy League college that I've seen so many times in so many films. In my eyes it all seemed wild, experimental, a planet for the young and beautiful ones to conquer. In one word: perfect. Nowadays that I think of this memory, I don't know why I found it so appealing. I've never shown any interest in being a part of any of this party lifestyle when I was in high school or something. 

When I first arrived there, let's call it Parks University, it felt like the ideal picture that I dreamt of has come to life in front of my eyes - just not for me. I was the viewer, the observer of the plot line coming together, like a full 3D series that I just had to choose which character to follow.

It wasn't a big change from what I already knew, actually. I've always been the quiet one, ever since my family moved to Florida when I was 13 years old. It started as a fear to be judged for my imperfect English or my accent, and followed me to believe that I am not American enough to belong as the other kids.

After a while of course I managed to find my way. Through my shyness, I still was friendly, and seemed to attract people around me even when I wasn't trying so hard. So when high school ended, me and my two best buddies decided to go and study in the same college. Somehow we managed to do it without compromising on our wishes, besides one - the University was in Connecticut, a territory that was not so familiar to any of us. 

For Anthony this change was good. He never got along with his family and I always suspected that he was waiting for the moment to leave the nest. For me and for Adrian it's been more difficult. I loved my parents, and Adrian had six younger siblings. I can't imagine how difficult it might be. I have always been an only child myself. 

And so we found ourselves in Parks. Each one had his own private room, me and Anthony on the same floor and Adrian two floors below. We had several courses aligned but mostly were separated. 

Since I was 13, we did everything together. We have been the nerdy trio of our grade in high school. I was suddenly terrified. 

"You worry too much," Adrian said. "I can see you biting your nails. Stop."

"That'll definitely not gonna help you make any new friends, Davey," teased Anthony. I elbowed him, And then stopped. 

"I hate first days, you know," I admitted. "I would have felt much more comfortable if we had our classes aligned for today."

"Come on, it will pass," Anthony said, in his trying-to-cheer-me-up tone. "In a few weeks from now this day will be a sweet memory. Besides, I thought you waited for college to begin haven't you?"

"I did. I just..."

"Nobody is gonna hate you," smiled Anthony. That's the good thing about being friends for so long. I can trust them to understand my anxieties without apologising.