Rock

I'm finally back in school after spending weeks on the couch due to my injured leg. It feels good to be back on the field, even if I can't do much besides throwing the ball. I still have to use crutches to get around, so the coach says I can't practice or play until the doctor clears me from using them. But honestly, I'm just relieved to be out of the house and off the couch. I was getting so bored that I even started flirting with the water girl.
         "Hey, Rock! Long time no see, man. I didn't think you were ever coming back to the field. We really need you out there. That rookie is making too many mistakes, and we've been losing too many games this year, bro," Speedy says, coming up beside me and giving me a fist bump.
       "Unfortunately, it's still going to be a few weeks before I can get back on that field, Speedy," I reply, making him groan. "Is it really that bad, bro?"
      "Fuck, man, you have no idea," he tells me.
     "Hi, Speedy. Hi, Rock. Do either of you want any water?" Tiffany asks, coming so close to me that she almost knocks me off balance. I look over to where River is standing, talking to Brody, and it pisses me off. So, I tell Tiffany no, but suggest that Brody might appreciate some water and her attention.
    "Ugh, Rock, if you haven't noticed, he's only got eyes for the freak. I don't understand how he can like someone like her," Tiffany snarls.
   "It's better than liking a football whore, Tiffany," I respond.
    What the hell? Why did I defend her like that? Tiffany walks off in a huff, and Speedy bursts out laughing. "Bro, did you just stand up for the water girl?"
     "Yes, I suppose I did. I believe that only those who truly know her can criticize her, and Tiffany is not worthy enough to do so."
     "Um, is that so? I think someone has been confined to the house for too long, with River taking care of him, and now they are starting to develop feelings for her."
     "Fuck that nonsense, Speedy. The water girl is insignificant , but I don't want people who are no better than her to badmouth her either."
     "Sure, keep telling yourself that. I need to get back on the field and show these idiots how things are supposed to be done. Stay sharp, my cunning brother," Speedy says, fist-bumping me once again.
     I can't help but smile to myself as the coach scolds Brody to get on the field and tells River to stop distracting the players. River's face turns so red that I fear she might faint from embarrassment.
                                                                 🏈🏈🏈
      After finishing practice, I make my way home. My mom is off for the day, so she's taken on the role of chef tonight. "Something smells amazing, mom," I exclaim, walking through the door and placing my bag on the floor.
    "It's your favorite homemade enchiladas," she replies as I enter the kitchen. I walk over to where she's standing and give her a quick peck on the cheek. "Is Jim not home, or is he out of town again?"
     My soon-to-be stepfather always seems to be out of town ever since we moved in. It feels like he got what he wanted from my mom and now he's avoiding her. I would never admit it to her, but it seems like the water girl was right about him.
    "How was River at school today?" my mom asks.
   "Same as always, quiet River," I respond. And it's the truth. River only opens up to her friend Sydney and Brody.
   "James, you shouldn't be so mean to her. I can see how you look at that girl, and if you want any kind of relationship with her, you should try to be a little nicer."
   "I have no idea what you're talking about, mother."
  "Sure, you don't," she says, smiling at me. "Go wash up for dinner. And tell your little brother to get off the video games and come down to get ready for dinner." Mom never gave me a straight answer about Jim. I guess she's tired of him, but she would never let it show. As I head up to my room, I let Abe know that mom wants him to wash up and be at the table in five minutes. "Can I come back up here and play the game after dinner?" Abe asks me.
     "Yes, buddy, if you don't have any homework to do."
     "Ugh, you're no fun anymore, Rock! You're acting like my dad now."
    "Ah, shit."
     I walk into my bedroom and grab some clothes to change into. Even though I'm out of my school clothes, I still feel a little sweaty from the heat today on the field, so I head into the bathroom and take a quick shower. After the shower, I go back downstairs to help set the table. Suddenly, there's a knock on the door, so I answer it since I'm still in the living room. When I open the door, I see a thin woman standing there, looking around as if she's not sure if she's at the right house. "Hi, can I help you?" I ask her.
    "Um, yes, sorry, I was looking for the Darby residents."
    "You've found it. Can I help you with something?"
   "Well, for starters, you can tell me what you're doing in my house if this is the Darby residents. And then you can tell me where my husband and daughter are."
    What the fuck? "I'm sorry, one sec." I tell her, holding a finger up. "Mom!"
   "Yes, Rock, who is it at the door?"
   "I think you might want to come in here and see for yourself, mom. Preferably before River gets home."
  "What's wrong?" Mom says, walking into the living room. Then I hear her curse under her breath. My mother never curses, so this must be as bad as I thought it would be.
    "Sharon, why are you here?" Mom questions the woman at the door.
      "I came to see my daughter. What else would I be here for? She's 18 now. He can't keep me away from her anymore."
      And the plot thickens.
    "You need to leave until Jim gets home, Sharon," Mom tells her. As I look at Sharon, I notice the resemblance between her and River.
    Of course, River looks much younger and healthier. Sharon, on the other hand, appears to be under the influence of something hardcore.
   "You can't force me to leave my own home, Gabriela."
   "This is no longer your home, Sharon. It hasn't been for 13 years. It stopped being your home when you walked out and left River and Jim behind."
   "I didn't leave on my own, Gabriela. You would have known that if you weren't pursuing my husband while pretending to be my friend," Sharon spits, and I've had enough.
    "It's time for you to go," I yell at her. Just then, River walks up behind Sharon, her mother, and freezes in her tracks.
   "What's happening, Gabriela? Who is this woman?" River asks, looking at Sharon and my mom. River tries to walk around Sharon, but Sharon grabs her wrist. "Hello, River. It's me, your momma." River pulls her arm away and walks straight into my mom's arms. I can't help but feel jealous, but not in the way you might think. I want River to run into my arms, to seek comfort from me when she feels threatened. Fuck, ever since I kissed her on the sofa, I've been so messed up.
     "Rock, please take River upstairs so I can have a conversation with my old friend Sharon."
     "What? I'm not River's babysitter, Mom."
     "Rock!"
    "Yes, Mom. Let's go, River."
    "No, I'm not going anywhere until I know what's going on."
    Mom gently holds River's face. "River, listen to me, okay? Please go upstairs with Rock until your dad comes home and can explain everything to you."
    River nods at Mom and walks past me, heading upstairs to her room. I follow her, unsure whether to check on her or give her space. But my desire to be near her wins, and I enter her room without knocking. She's sitting at her computer desk, tears in her eyes.
   "Are you okay, Riv?" I ask, concerned.
   "Rock, tell me who that was downstairs."
   "I don't think you want to know, Riv."
   "Damn it, Rock, just tell me."
     River rarely uses language like that, so it completely surprises me when she curses at me. "You're not going to be happy about it, Riv."
    "Rock, please just tell me."
   "It's your mother," I tell her.
    "Why is she here now? She didn't want me before. Her drugs were more important," River responds bitterly.
    "Who told you that?" Sharon asks, standing in the doorway.
    "I'm sorry, River. She ran past me," Mom explains.
    "It's fine," River says dismissively. "Why does it matter who told me? It's very clear you are on drugs."
    "What the fuck are you doing in my house around my daughter, Sharon?" Mr. Darby yells, confronting River's mom.
      Damn, he got home fast.
      "She is just as much my daughter as she is yours. Jim and I want to come home and be with my family. As you requested, I have become sober. I wouldn't have developed a drug addiction if you hadn't provided me with drugs, Jim."
      I hear both River and my mom gasp. Then Jim grabs Sharon by her shirt collar and forcefully drags her down the stairs and out the front door.
     River tries to chase after them, but I stop her by wrapping my arm around her waist. It's a struggle with my crutches, but I manage to hold her in place. "Riv, please stop fighting me."
    "Rock, let me go." I look at mom, and she shakes her head no, so I continue to hold River.
     Mom closes River's door and walks away.
    "Why are you doing this? Rock, let me go so I can talk to my father. I have the right to know what's going on."
    "You do, River, but let mom find out what she can first. Going up there without a plan will only get you hurt by your dad, and you know I'm right."
      She stares at me, defeated. "Rock, you heard what I heard, didn't you? He gave her drugs and then kicked her out like garbage. And he blamed me for her leaving us. That man hates me."
     "Riv, I don't think he hates you, exactly. I think he hates who you remind him of. You look just like her, man. The only difference is that you have a healthier body. And just to be clear, I don't mean that you're fat or anything."
    "She could have stopped using drugs and come to get you instead of staying away for 13 years. And now you're left dealing with the aftermath of your awful father."
    "Why are you being so kind to me right now, Rock? I thought you would take advantage of this news somehow and use it against me."
    "That's the old me, River. I've become a better person since I got hurt."
    "Right, that's why you were a jerk to me today on the field, because you've become this new and improved version of yourself."
    "I was a jerk because you were talking to Brody and I wanted you to be talking to me and smiling at me the way you were with him, River." I confess, leaning in close to her face and kissing her. She lets it happen. It's like her mind shuts off for 2.5 minutes, but when it starts working again, she pushes me away and slaps me across the face.
   "You don't get to do that. You don't get to mess with my head and make me doubt everything." River says, then storms out of her room.
   "Well, damn. Looks like I failed at keeping her here with me."

@crystalsteadman 2023