A New Assignment - Chuuya's POV

What a boring day it is in heaven. I just lie around doing nothing! I want to have action on earth like all of the others! After all, I am a guardian angel. But of course, I just got done learning the basics, so it could be an eternity before I can do my job.

I then get a knock on my door. "Come in!" I yell to the person at the door. Tachihara, one of my best friends, enters the room. "You got an assignment!" He claimed, clearly very excited for me. I shot up from where I was laying, jumping up and down with happiness.

"Now hurry up before you get in trouble!" He rushed me out. I make my way to my teacher, Rimbaud. He's one of my favorite people here in heaven, and he acts almost like a father to me. I rush up to him, surprising him from behind.

He jumped in surprise. He sighed in relief when he saw that it was me who startled him. "My goodness, Chuuya. You scared me!" He stated. "Sorry! I'm just excited because I got told I have an assignment!" I claimed, eager to know what I had to do.

"Alright, alright, settle down!" He calmly said with a slight chuckle. "So, you have to protect this kid." He hands me a picture of a kid. He seems pretty young, honestly around my age. Even though I died, I'm still technically sixteen.

The kid looked menacing, wearing all black clothing with bandages all around his body, including his right eye. He seemed to be on a mission of sorts, and seemed very apathetic about what was going on. His brown, fluffy hair seemed to fall slightly into his eyes, yet he still seemed to see everything around him just fine.

"His name is Osamu Dazai," Rimbaud started to explain, "and he is known to be a troublemaker. He is sixteen years old, working for an organization called the Port Mafia." This had me startled. A sixteen year old in the mafia?! That's just ridiculous!

Rimbaud continued on. "Recently, he's been getting into more trouble. He's been getting into physical and verbal fights, and almost died quite a few times. Your job is to protect him from death. And you know the rules." He looked at me with a serious glare.

"I know, get the job done, don't get spotted in case someone has an ability that can see me, and, most importantly, don't fall in love, no matter if it is a demon, angel, or human. Guardians must focus on their job, not their love life. I've been told this a million times!" I complained.

The rules were fairly simple, so I never saw a reason on why we always had to know the rules. Rimbaud seemed a bit skeptical about me doing the assignment, but he did not argue against it. All he did was let out a sigh. "There is one small issue though." He claimed, seeming nervous.

"What can be so bad that the great Rimbaud is scared?" I ask, trying to lighten his mood slightly. Usually, that would do the trick, but this clearly had him lost in his thoughts. He did not laugh or even smile as usual. He took a deep breath and told me the bad news. "I have gotten word that somehow, a demon was assigned to find a way to assassinate Dazai." He stated rather quickly.

I froze in place. For thousands of years, at least to my knowledge from my training, demons cannot be assigned nor have they ever been assigned to do anything involving a human. Last I checked, they had to do their work in the underworld. "Do we know specifically who was assigned to have him killed?" I ask.

Rimbaud hesitates again before speaking. "It's Fyodor Dostoyevsky." He claims. My expression of shock grew more and more. The fatal Fyodor Dostoyevsky. He was originally a guardian angel, who had died in a helicopter accident in his early twenties. He was put into a high-end prison, even though he was not guilty. However, when he finally got to leave the prison and got onto the helicopter, someone had hijacked it in advance and it crashed into the side of the prison.

He decided to relax in heaven for a little while before he trained to be a guardian angel. I even got to know more about him since we trained together. He was the kindest angel in heaven that I ever knew. But that's when disaster struck. Apparently, his whole backstory that he had told me was a lie.

He had committed crimes that put him into the prison. He injected himself with poison while another stranger who I do not know about to this day did the same. They raced to get out of the highly secured prison, and Fyodor made it out first. As he got into the helicopter, the stranger had hijacked it and made it fly into the building.

Although he did not lie about how he died, he lied about his whole backstory. Everyone in heaven believed him, and we were all shocked when we found out the truth. He was then banished to the underworld, specifically to the lowest ring he could be put into. Now, he has a job. And that job is to kill the one person I have to protect.

"Are you sure you can do this, Chuuya? You and Fyodor were pretty close, and it might hurt to see him again after so long since he was banished." Rimbaud asked. He knew this feeling since the same thing happened to him, expect it was his lover, Verlaine, who was sent away to the underworld.

"I'll be fine. You don't have to worry." I reassured Rimbaud, giving him a smile to make him feel slightly better. He smiled back, and sighed. "Stay safe and remember the rules!" He stated before he motioned me into a certain ring. I walked into the ring, and right after he pressed a button to take me to Earth. Now this, this should be fun.

1,024 words! For the first chapter, I would say this is a pretty good amount of words. I'm also posting this at like 10pm where I am at so sorry! I was just very busy and didn't have the time to write. Also, give me some ship or au recommendations for future fanfics! Thanks for reading!