Chapter Three - The Day of No Return

Start from the beginning

In the kitchen, Julia found two packs of meals on the table. The lights of the house were off except for one desk lamp on the kitchen counter, illuminating a small portion of the kitchen; leaving the rest in shadows. The curtains, all in matching colors, were drawn shut. They covered the house in complete darkness and it offered Julia a sense of protection. Something about not being seen made her feel her emotions were hidden and safe.

In the dim light of the kitchen, Julia took one chair out from the neatly set row against the table, careful not to disturb the silence in the house, and then drank the glass of milk left there for her. Thankful, that her mother always took care of her milk not to be cold.

Under the two packs of meals across from her, Julia noticed a piece of paper placed under the lunch boxes. The paper was a ripped piece out of a notebook, with the writing 'Open Me'.

"Oh Mom," Julia said to herself, wondering if she should keep it for later. But then decided against it. There were tear stains between the lines of the neatly written letter, blurring a few words here and there. Julia felt, if not for herself, she owed it to her Mother to read what she had to say. Although she did not want to, Julia could not help but hear her Mother's voice as she read it.

Dear Julia,

When you read this I'm still asleep and I won't be seeing you off. I know I should but I know I couldn't bring myself to do that without holding you back.

So I'm going to write a letter to you instead because although I believe in you, and in my mind, my little girl will always be there, I know the path you've taken is a dangerous one. And I'm afraid for you.

When you were born, I felt an extraordinary feeling I could never recreate. You were my first and you can never be replaced in my heart. I knew when I saw you that what I wanted to be most in my life was a good mother. My little bundle of joy, my heart, my Julia. And it meant that I wanted to protect you and take you to a place where you will always be safe—a stable life, a good home, and as you grew up a better life.

I knew from the beginning you'd have the sight, the same pair of eyes I have today. And although I always felt it was a curse, for the first time I was glad that at least you'll have something of me that will keep you away from the unknown dangers of this world. I just never thought it would be the one to set you off this dangerous road and it breaks me to know that something somewhere would want to take the life that has brought me, and your father, a reason to go on.

My Daughter, please be safe and please know that there is no shame in running away when your life is in danger. When it gets too hard, please come home. Our arms will always be open for you and we will always do our best to give you a life that you might not want but a life you will appreciate. A life of peace and quiet. I know it's hard to imagine living a life of monotone labor with predictable outcomes for the rest of your life but even that can be a fulfilling one, once you find those you call your own.

My Daughter, my legacy, if it comes to you, I will fight for you. So call, whatever it is, call. I will be there. And please tell Rick I appreciate him and this is his home too. His mother called angrily last night but knowing you have someone there to keep you company will help me sleep tonight.

Take care and I love you. Always.

Mom

"Rick?" Julia whispered to herself, a feeling of dread rolling into a nasty ball at the pit of her stomach. Her eyes went through the last paragraph again and again. It can't be, can it be? What did she mean?

Julia looked up from the letter with tears on her cheeks, cursing at her heart for summoning the waterworks so easily. She knew reading her mother's letter would make her sad, but this had hit her differently.