46. THE SHU HAN BOARDER

👑 N I K O L A I 👑

Everybody stiffened a bit when they spotted the shu flags at the horizon. The camp of the soldiers Ximen had brought was huge and Nikolai exchanged a nervous look with Aneela as they got closer and closer. Alarm was called when they were clearly visible, and a troop was put together that rode towards them.

Zoya lifted her arms when they were only a few meters away. "Two First Army and Two Second Army guards are with us." She pointed at the selected ones. "Leave the horses with the others."

Genya raised her eyebrows, alarmed. "You want to face him on the ground?"

"Obviously." She dismounted. "He's threatening our country on our ground."

Staying on her horse might have been the better choice – you could also talk to your enemy at a safe distance – but it seemed like the Queen was keen on negotiating face to face without having the opportunity of taking a fast leave. Bold choice.

Tamar, Tolya, Kheru, Genya, Nikolai and Aneela followed her as Zoya made big steps towards the soldiers that were getting into formation only a few meters away from them. Ximen watched them approach in the middle with his hands casually behind his back as if he was waiting for a business meeting to start and not begin a war over his sister and his nearly-fiancé.

Aneela's knuckles brushed Nikolai's, a silent question if he was alright – considering the circumstances they were in. He had grown quiet as they walked closer and closer to Ximen and his soldiers, the nerves were slowly but surely getting to the prince. Denying he wasn't scared would have been a lie because he was terrified. They had been in similar situations before, but it was more dangerous now than ever. They were strolling directly into a lion's den, not knowing if they would be able to get out alive.

As a response, Nikolai linked their fingers and gave her a confident smile, trying to play it off as if he already knew that they would be the winners at the end of the day. The worry was written all over her face as if she could sense that he was just acting; but she was thankful of it which was why she smiled back as well.

Every single one of them – even Ximen – didn't know what would come from this ... meeting. The shu Prince thought they were going to try to persuade him not to attack, his sister would come with him in order to save Ravka and his nearly-fiancé would tell him that she will re-think the engagement with him if it would mean the peace in the world.

On paper, it seemed like an idiotic plan that would never succeed but considering the circumstances, it was genius and didn't leave much room for the ravkans to act. And all of it had been Makhi pulling strings behind Ximen so if it came to a downfall, she didn't need to stand for it but her brother. She had manipulated him, laid a path out and the young man had been stupid enough to follow it without questioning her intensions.