Chapter 2

"Can you guys please tell me why God would make a human being as hot as Caleb Hughes exist?" Lucy cried out.

Charlie smacked her, "Someone will hear you, shut up!"

Kylie patted Charlie's shoulder and said in a baby voice, "Aw, does someone have a little crush on the new boy?"

Charlie glared at both of them, "Why does everyone keep saying that! I do not have a crush on Caleb!"

"Is that so?" A new voice purred out from behind Charlie. Charlie bristled and swerved around, and suddenly blushed, "O-oh, hi." She awkwardly said to Caleb- who had overheard the girls' conversation.

Caleb grinned, and turned his attention to Lucy, "Maybe he was drunk?"

Lucy's eyes widened, "W-what?" She stuttered.

"Um... why God made a human being as hot as me... maybe he was drunk."

"Oh!" Lucy whispered, "You weren't supposed to hear that! Oh god."

Charlie rolled her eyes, thinking about what an arrogant bastard Caleb was. Caleb must have seen that because he brushed Charlie's hair out of her face, "Jealous, sweetheart? Don't worry, you have all of my attention now."

Charlie glared at him and turned back to her friends. Caleb turned her back around, "Playing hard to get, are we?"

Charlie simply said, "There's nothing here for you. Go turn on your charm to the cheerleading squad. You're at the wrong lunch table."

With that, Caleb sat down in the seat across from Charlie and asked, "Feisty. I can see why all the guys at this school have been pining over you now."

She blushed, unable to think of anything to say. Kylie, who was oblivious to all things having to do with males, snorted, "Caleb- that seats taken."

Caleb turned to her, "Yeah. By me."

Kylie said under her breath, "I'd rather sit next to a dead toad. Can you please just leave?"

Charlie bit her lip, realizing just how bitchy and mean they were being, and finally, Lucy said, "Kylie, it's cool. Just let him stay." She smiled to Caleb, who returned it with a wink. Kylie shrugged. Charlie mustered up a smile.

A few boys from the football team were coming over to their table and Charlie sighed, "Great." She whispered under her breath. Thankfully, no one else heard it.

"Hey" a boy named Eric said to Charlie. The rest of the guys did the same. Charlie waited until they were all done and offered up a noncommittal "Hey guys."

Another cute boy slid into the seat next to Charlie, and got yelled at by half of the group. Mason genuinely smiled at her, and she did likewise.

"Can I talk to you for a minute?" Daniel, yet another jock, whispered to Charlie.

She rubbed her temple and Caleb looked around the crowded area, "This is my cue to leave. Bye sweetheart." He winked at Charlie, who blushed once more.

Charlie said to Daniel while stabbing her rice and chicken with a fork, "I'm kind of in the middle of a conversation."

"Right." He said quickly, walking away in shame.

"Hey Charlie. I'm having a party in a few days." Said the boy who had slid into the seat next to hers.

"Okay." She replied.

"Wanna come? Your cute friends can come too." This earned a squeal from Lucy and a snort from Kylie.

"I'll think about it." She said, already deciding against it.