His eyebrows furrowed at the distance, a sense of coolness engulfing him without her presence. ''Jaldi,'' he ordered, his features firm, a clear purpose in mind- the clock was ticking to meet his baba. (Quickly.)

''Okay,'' she whispered, speeding up until they almost knocked elbows, and she sought refuge in his shadow, slipping behind him if anyone looked too closely.

''Kya hua?'' He whispered astutely into the space between them, almost shoulder to shoulder. ''Did you see someone that you know?'' (What happend.)

''Nahi. Just,'' she tried to dismiss, her heart palpitations slowing again as she tried to bury the anxiety of that eventful night.

When they entered Nawaz's room, Murtasim strode in with a sense of calm that he had been lacking since leaving Hyderabad- and Meerab realised why he had snapped so easily in the lecture hall.

''Salaam. Kaise ho baba?,'' He asked softly in greeting and Meerab watched in awe as he sat next to his father on the bed, in a gentleness that she had not witnessed from him in many years. (How are you baba?)

''Shukr alhamdulillah, theek hun ab. Sab acha khayal rakh rahe hain,'' he replied, despite his sickly pale colour. (Thanks to god, I am fine. They're taking good care of me.)

Meerab physically un-tensed, the guilt which constricted her heart, began to dissipate, leaking out until there was only an equal mix of hope and gratefulness remaining. ''Salaam,'' she said, not wanting to impede.

Shah Nawaz gave a kind nod in return. He wore normal shalwar kameez now, the bandage hiding somewhere beneath, concealed. He almost looked well, if it wasn't from his slow motion blinking and breathy talking- betraying his façade of wellness that he masqueraded infront of his son. ''Par tum kaisey aaye Karachi se?'' He questioned at the sudden unannounced appearance. (But how did you come from Hyderabad?)

''Gaadi se baba,'' Murtasim replied nonchalantly, clearly knowing that the question was entirely different. He wanted to witness his baba in the flesh, to seek some words of reassurance, for his heart's worries to be eased. (On the car, baba.)

''Par Meerab tumhari zimmedaari hai. Tou Karachi mei rehna tha,'' Shah Nawaz disapproved, caring more about duty than his health. ''Main theek hun,'' he stressed, hoping he would be ushered away to his duty. (But Meerab is your responsibility, so you should have stayed in Karachi. I am fine.)

''Issi liye tou Meerab ko saath laya hou,'' he lied, and Meerab nodded in agreement at his side. (That's why I bought Meerab along with me.)

''Ijaazat li thi?'' Nawaz practically scolded. (Did you get permission?)

That wasn't the question that Murtasim was anticipating, but he should have known who his father's priority was.

''Maine di hai ijaazat,'' she interjected in an awkward chuckle. ''Actually, mera mashfara tha ke Murtasim aapko dekhne aaye.'' Her gaze flittered over the room, counting over the signs that it had been lived in for a couple days- the edges of the petals of the bouquet were wilting in surrender. (I gave him permission. It was my suggestion that Murtasim come to see you.)

''Tum dono bache nahi rahe ke jo marzi karte phiro. Itna lamba safar tey krne ki kya zaroorat thi?'' (You two are not kids that you can go and do whatever you like. What was the need for such a long journey?)

Need? What was the need for the Khan's to pick fights and to endager lives, Murtasim wondered. They were the ones that needed to grow up, and they were the reason for his father's hospital stay.

''Uss birthday party ke kya zaroorat thi? Meerab bibi ko nahi pata tha ke uske bhai and mangetar ke kitne dushman hain?'' That was the reason for his father battling pain and injury. (What was the need of the birthday party. Didnt Meerab madam know that her family and fiance have many enemies?)