Waffles trills and caws, excited to meet her new friends. Emmiline peeps in response and Clover buzzes around her. Stringbean lands on Hunter's wrist and wriggles along to nuzzle Waffles. He laughs as she tickles him. Viney's manticore purrs and Viney's cricket chirps happily. Waffles sings with her reedy, creaky little voice.

It's then that Hunter hears the first comment that breaks his heart, "What is that awful noise?"

He turns to see two strangers talking with their Palismen, "I know, right? You're lucky your sound doesn't sound like a screen door."

The other witch shakes their head, "What kind of person would make a Palisman that has that voice?"

Hunter carefully tucks his Palisman close to his heart, whispering, "Don't listen to them, Waffles. You're wonderful and I love how you sing."

He looks up at his friends, "I think I'm going to go home for a little while. If you want to practice later today, let me know, OK? You can either send a crow or just come by." He walks away with Waffles still tucked against his chest.

As he walks away, he hears Skara call out, "You two are gross, making fun of a Palisman like that!" He gives Waffles a tiny smile and continues toward home.

When he arrives at his apartment, he sets Waffles on the table, "Are you OK?"

She caws her reply and he smiles, "Yeah, I don't think you should believe it, either. You're mine and you're beautiful and I love you." He lightly kisses her head. He lays down on the couch, "Let's get a little rest. It was amazing to fly with you, but I'm not used to it yet."

Waffles flutters over and sits on his shoulder, nestling against his chin.

***

That afternoon, Skara shows up at his door and he answers with Waffles trilling softly in his hair, "Hey Skara. Is it flyer derby time?"

"Absolutely! Come on, let's try out those sick sky skills with Waffles."

He looks up at Waffles, "Ready?"

She caws enthusiastically; Skara smiles, "What'd she say?"

"Definitely—she wants to learn everything!"

"I love her already," she replies.

Hunter locks his door and runs down the stairs, still wearing his apron from Dell's. He takes it off on the street and tosses it up onto his windowsill as he leaps onto his staff. Skara giggles and skips as fast as she can to try to keep up as Hunter takes to the sky, turning to back to her as he grips the staff with his legs and flips up-side down, his hands behind his head.

"So...are you going to catch me?" he gently taunts.

"You bet I am!" Skara says. She launches herself into the air, flipping up onto her staff, chasing after him, both of them thrilled to play.

Their practice is joyful, more chatter and stunts than actual strategy. None of them care. They need to feel their team spirit return and when they land, they know there was no way the time apart had hurt their ability to work together. Their Palismen laugh in their own way and dart around the field.

Matt comes out of the stands, walking towards Gus, "So...ready to go find something to eat? You promised me dinner."

Gus says goodbye to his friends and starts to walk toward him when Waffles caws enthusiastically, "Dude, what is that screechy sound?" Matt asks him. A few feet behind him, Hunter freezes, extending his arm so Waffles will land on it. His face falls as she sings to him and Matt winces.