The Beginning

Player remembered the day quite vividly, almost as much when he first joined his friends' lobby. The Airship was heading toward the red portal. He, Captain, and Ninja had no idea what was coming. And Dr. Doktor? It was...a surprise. To say the least.

"But I CAN'T be a chosen one!" Player had retorted.

"Oh, but it is written in the code," Dr. Doktor calmly insisted. "You, Player, will be the one to bring an end to his curse."

"B-But- But I've had such horrible luck all my life! I've just been a tool for him!! ...I'm not special...Why do you think I can even do this?"

"Because," Captain said, "you're our Player. You've probably got the most sense here..."

Ninja, who had been silent the whole time, nodded slightly. Then, in Japanese, he added, "Fighting training would do you good, beanie boy."

Player was stunned. His friends had never been that nice to him. But then he thought about it. How WAS he going to defeat Novisor? Novisor was a demonic entity who had killed many of his friends, and he was just a crewmate. What was he to do?

Dr. Doktor had returned his focus to the skies, then spoke as if he read Player's mind. "Do not worry about it. We are almost to his dimension. It's where he is weakest..."

The airship finally entered the portal, which closed behind them. The new dimension was all red and black, with swirls of dark magic encompassing the cracks. Player stared out the window, in both awe and dread. "We finally made it," Dr. Doktor announced while pointing. "Look. There they are."

In the middle of the dimension was an island, as red as everything else. And on that island was Novisor's true form - a bipedal version of himself, that is - and his cultists in black robes. A few of the less focused members see the Airship docking near the island. The four exited to get a better view of the ritual going on. Everyone now noticed.

"I once served you blind, but look what I've got with me!" Dr. Doktor cheered, gesturing toward Player, Captain, and Ninja. Only one person in this group seemed ready to fight.

"Get them."

All but one of the cultists pulled out tiny daggers and advanced. A fight broke out, with Ninja's katana swings and Captain's roundhouse kicks evening the odds. All Player knew how to do was dodge and weave through the fray, until he finally reached Novisor. The other cultist went for him, but suddenly Dr. Doktor stabbed him in the visor.

"Huh. Never knew an old man could hit like that," Player mused.

Doktor chuckled. The two looked up at the massive entity in front of them.

"So...you think you've won?" Novisor asked.

"I'LL BEAT YOU SOMEHOW!" Player shouted back.

"Such a new outlook. But the devil's debt always comes due."

He then grabbed Dr. Doktor. "DOKTOR!" Player failed to grab him.

Dr. Doktor threw down a small blade before responding, "Don't worry about me! One small sacrifice is worth many lives."

"Is there anything you'd like to say, Doktor?"

"...Use the blade."

Player shook the small thing before realizing it was a sword. Novisor huffed and threw Doktor to the ground.

"I think by now you understand the situation, beanie boy. The problem is, I'm not sure why you're so worried about escaping your fate."

"It's because I'm not just a tool. I'm PLAYER! And for once in my life, I am FINALLY going to WIN!"

Sword in hand, Player leapt for the center of the demon. It only chuckled.

"Perhaps, a temporary victory. But JUST WAIT! I WILL HAVE MY WAY!!" His last words, as the sword plunged into his shadowy heart, then split him right in half.

Player huffed and puffed. "I...did it?"

Captain came over, a little inky and dusty but in decent condition. "You did..."

"I won."

Dr. Doktor, groaning from his injuries, made his way to the two. "Come on. Once we get Ninja, we can be out of here..."

As the group walked back to the Airship, Doktor noticed something on Player's back. It was ink. He wiped it off with his finger. "You, uh...got a little ink on you."

"Huh? Oh. Heh, y'know, spilled bodily fluids. It's probably nothing."

So, they returned home. Player had won. ...Or so he had thought.

Nobody had expected that a certain someone would come to make a surprise visit.