"Just stay behind me, alright?"

She nodded, quickly stood behind him, suddenly face-to-face with the crown, which was hooked to his belt loop.

"You're not gonna put it on again are you?"

"Just stay behind me," he said in a more serious tone.

Marcy was scared. Not just of a zombie, but of losing the last person left she had gotten attached to.

The bush wriggled more, and Simon reached closer to his crown.

"No..." Marceline pleaded "no...please..."

It jumped out of the bush. Marcy gasped in fear and hid her face behind Simon. He laughed, "oh no, it'll cuddle us to death."

"Huh?" Marcy peeped in front of Simon, only to see a rabbit near the bush. "Awww, a bunny!" She ran up to it, tagging Hambo along.

"Hold on there, short stack!" By the time he caught up to her, she'd already caught the wild rabbit. He was out of breath from running. He tried to say something anyway. Marcy turned around, holding the fuzzy little scamper. "Oh you, you caught it?" Simon said between breathes.

"Yeah, isn't he cute?" One of her arms held Hambo's hand, and the rabbit struggled under Marcy's hug-like grasp. Simon was leaning over, still breathing heavily.

"Yeah he's, he's a," he tried to catch his breath "he's a real show stopper!" He breathes heavy again, anyway.

"You okay Si-Si?"

"Of course! I'm just old, that's all."

"Oh."

"Now gimme that bunny of yours. He could be part of our dinner." She handed him the bunny, and Simon snapped its neck like breaking a tooth pick.

"Okay, but what about that Popeye place you-aaaaahhh!!" she screamed and pointed behind Simon.

"What's the matter dear?" He turned around, and there was one of those weird zombie creatures. In fact, it wasn't far behind him. "Ohhhhhhh gosh. Okay, Marcy" they started to back away in the direction opposite the monster. "Listen, I need you to take Hambo and the bunny over there, okay?" There were two buildings leading to Popeyes, and he pointed to the closest one to them. However, Simon and Marceline soon spotted a zombie coming from behind the second building. "Uh-oh. Nevermind, just stay close to me."

"Uhhh...Si, what's gonna happen?" There was a tremble in her voice.

"You'll be fine, Marce. Can you be a brave little girl for me?"

She nodded.

"Good. Now let me just..." He had to think of a plan before those things discovered a technique, called running. Since the bomb's force was so powerful, it broke and cracked the glass of many places around them. "Ah-hah! I have an idea, but I don't want you getting into it, you could get hurt."

"Please don't, don't use the crown again," she spoke before tears welled up in her eyes.

The creatures were steadily walking closer.

" Don't worry, I've got a better plan. just stand back. "

She did as told, backing up into the bush as Simon ran towards the fallen glass next to the closest building, grabbing a big, sharp chunk. He ran to the zombie that Marceline had seen behind him and threw the glass at him, jabbing it in the face. He quickly went over to investigate that that zombie was dead. Marceline screamed.

"The zombie! Aaahh! Help me !"

Simon turned around to see the other zombie had made its way very close to contact with Marcy. It was almost face to face with her. "Hold on, I'm comin' !"

It cornered her between the bush and the small amount of what was left of a railing. with no time to get more glass, Simon pulled the glass from the preceding zombie's face and ran over to stab the one oozing green slob in front of Marceline's face.

She screamed again, clutching Hambo and the rabbit. Simon jabbed the thing in the side of the head just it time, and it hit the ground. He pushed the glass further in, just in case. A tear fell down Marceline's face. Simon sat down in front of Marcy just to hug her. She cried in his arms, scared for her life.

"It's ok sweetheart, I got you...I got you..." he tried to speak in the most comforting voice. "Oh, who do those things think they're messing with anyway? Don't they know who I am?! Don't they know who we are?"

Marceline looked up at Simon. She cracked a smile. "Who are we?"

"We are a team, Marceline. And no one can defeat a team."

She chuckled, "yeah! no one can stand against us!" she sniffed and wiped her nose.

"As long as we stick together," He wiped a tear from her face "no one can hurt us."

They stood up. "Now, how about that grub??"

Marceline laughed. "Ooo ooo, what are we gonna eat first ? the rabbit? the Popeyes? The-the-the-"

"Whoa whoa whoa, slow down there ya fiesty little gremlin! "

"But I'm excited! And hungry."

That's all he could ask to hear. "Okay look, we can bring the rabbit to that place, and if they have a microwave, we could totally eat this, the food in Popeyes, and have a buffet of food! What d'ya say?"

"Yeeeyy! lets do it, Si, c'mon !"

She tugged on his arm, ran, barely clutching her toy and bunny.

"Alright alright already! Sheesh!"

***

He had been starved. Little did she know, he had run out of breath earlier because he was starved. He just couldn't let such a young girl worry, especially with all the stress she was under now.