Wastelands

The closest building the girls came to that wasn't crumbling to the ground was a pharmacy. They both doubted it would be there, but they decided to search anyway. Besides that, free medicine!

The girls walked in and looked around. Bonnie went behind the front desk while Marcy went to the cold fridge area, really just searching for coke. Bonnie looked through some shelves under the cash register. She found one that said 'Especially Reserved' after looking around a bit. She was curious, she peaked through the bottles of meds there. They were stronger medications, ointments and lotions than what she thought was normally prescribed. She picked up one that stood out to her. It looked like a medicine capsule about 2/3rds the normal size. It had a white liquid inside. She picked it up and looked at a label taped to the sides. 'Bug milk'.

What? Was it possible she had found it that fast? What were the chances...

She could end this whole mess much faster if she had this. It would all be almost over.

She noticed Marcy changing over the time they'd traveled, and, took this opportunity to devise a plan. She walked to the aisle next to the one Marcy was on. She did so casually, acting as if she saw nothing important. "So...Marceline..."

"Yes?"

"Can you be honest with me about something really quick?"

" 'Course." Marcy opened a door with waters and coke-a-cola's.

"Do you really wanna go home?" She asked in a tone that could convince any eight-year-old to agree with the speaker's hidden opinion. Not that the listener needed convincing.

"Yeah...well, yeah!" Marcy didn't sound too confident at first. Bonnie picked up on this and smiled, confirming herself of a secret choice. "Didn't you know that already?" Marcy chuckled nervously.

"Hmph. Just checking again. I see you're over by the drinks, pass me one?"

"Here you go!" Marcy threw it over the shelve rack.

"Thanks." 'For everything,' she thought.

"Wow, how can you catch so well?!"

"Ehh, I have my ways."

"Coooooool!"

Bonnie looked at some sweet foods on the aisle she was on. She was pretty interested in some honey buns, which she grabbed two of. She caught a glance of Marcy going to the front desk. "Uhhm, I already checked by there. Nothing's really interesting, it's all paperwork and stuff."

"Oh. Work? Gross."

***

Later that evening, they went to sleep in the tent together by a fire they made. They would have slept in the nearest building, but it was unusually cold tonight. They didn't find a place with a fireplace therefore, they cuddled together for warmth outside. Bonnie figured the cold meant they were too close to the Ice king, helping guide a mental map for her. She just knew to go in the opposite direction of the cold, especially considering it was out of the season.

Bonnie was pondering over whether she should sneak back and get the milk anyway, without telling Marcy.

"Honeybun ?" Bonnie offered.

"Sure." They ate honeybuns together and looked up at the stars. Bonnie thought of how cool it was to actually look up at them instead of being stuck on walls where she couldn't. She had looked up on the way here, but never really with anyone until she met Simon and Marcy. She loved every minute of it. Something about it felt different this time, though. Not a bad different...she thought maybe some weird mixture between a good and neutral. Geutral?