Chapter 24

Maybe the fact that she survived a wolf encounter and felt braver than she had ever felt before is why she found herself standing on the shore of the lake looking at the canoe. Rayne hugged the container she'd sealed her camera in, mostly because she treasured it, and drowning it would upset her more than drowning herself. Do I want to try canoeing? Yes, mostly. She set the camera down and walked over to the canoe. Taking a deep breath, she flipped it over, finding out it was much heavier than it had looked. The paddle was on the ground, having been hidden underneath. Picking it up, she frowned at it. It was almost as tall as she was. Rayne looked at the water and then back to the canoe. There was no way around it. Some of her was going to get wet. She knew she didn't have the strength to climb in onshore and shove it out into the water. She placed the paddle in and then her shoes, carefully setting the camera on top.

Grabbing the handle as she'd seen Devin do, she yanked on it only to discover that it was going to be a challenge just getting it to the water, never mind getting in it once it was there. Would pushing it be easier? Doubtful. Rayne grabbed the handle again with both hands and backed towards the lake, one inch at a time. This gave her a new-found respect for early settlers that used to carry their canoes over their heads when they hit a spot without water. Obviously, modern life made people soft and weak, well, at least it had her.

During the back-straining event of getting the canoe to the water thinking that would be the hardest part, and she was wrong. Rayne stood in the water up to her knees holding the canoe and trying to figure out the best way to get inside it without tipping right out the other side only to land on her face with a splash. She wasn't going to make the mistake again of thinking any part of this was going to be easy. Balancing on one foot, she lifted the other one to rest inside, longer legs probably would have made this simpler, but, she didn't have any of those handy. Rayne stretched so her foot was close to the middle and then slowly shifted her weight to swing the other foot in. Her yoga instructor would have been proud of her technique and flexibility when she finally had both feet inside.

As she started to straighten the canoe started rocking from side to side and the more she tried to counter balance the worse it rocked. Her camera rolled around making her wonder if she was even in enough water to flip it. Not having any other choice, she plopped down onto her knees and held the sides until the rocking stopped. The expression 'don't rock the boat' took on a whole new meaning that she completely understood now. Making sure she made small movements she wiggled around until she was comfortable. She'd seen how people used the narrow seats at either end, but there was no way she was going to try to move to try to get to them. She felt less like she was going to fall out by sitting in the middle.

Looking around, she decided she'd just paddle a bit along the shore and see how this worked before she left the safety of a few feet of water to the deeper, darker water in the middle of the lake. How hard could this be? Rayne took the paddle and slid it in her hands a few times trying to figure out at which length she should hold it. Small movements worked for her and hopefully she could control things.

It took less than twenty practice strokes to figure out that she had to paddle a bit on each side or she didn't go straight forward. The third try she ended up with the front of the canoe beached on the shore, and she knew if she was going to accomplish anything, she'd have to go out deeper where she couldn't ground herself so easily. As the bottom of the lake started to get harder to see, she looked back at the shore and was surprised how far out she'd travelled. She'd never win any races, but she was managing to go straight and hadn't fallen out, yet. A win for her.

Rayne could see why people liked this as she rested the paddle in front of her and coasted through the water, it was peaceful. One more thing that made her want to stay longer.

She pushed herself along a few more times and then just sat there, thinking. Aside from taking pictures, what had she decided to do? Nothing, but that was okay, it had only been a few days. Rayne laughed out loud, thinking what a few days it had been. She was no longer engaged, employed, or had a place to live. She was hiding out in the wilderness with no real clue to what she was doing. Then again, she'd also survived a near miss with a racoon and a social visit with a wolf, not to mention she was coasting in a canoe on a serene lake right at this moment. Maybe the good didn't outweigh the bad, but she'd take what she could get.

Figuring she was close to the middle of the lake, she put the paddle down, inside the canoe so she wouldn't knock it in the water. Making tiny movements, she stretched until she could grasp the camera and took it out of its waterproof container. Rayne felt a little overwhelmed, not sure what she should take a picture of first, but then realized there was really no rush, was there?

Rayne spent several minutes trying to capture a picture of a fish, at least she really hoped it was a fish, as it skimmed the surface and caused ripples to spread out. The problem with that was she didn't know where to look other than where it had been last, and she suspected they kept moving and didn't hit the same place more than once.

She looked everywhere, taking pictures of everything within her sight, she would always want to remember this, and the more pictures she had the more she could conjure the same feeling as the moment she took the picture. Everything was so natural and beautiful. The trees surrounding the lake weren't perfectly balanced, they just grew where they wanted to. The water, so many shades of blue but colorless at the same time, even the sky...

She lowered the camera and moved her eyes to the sky. There were some very dark, foreboding clouds heading her way, fast.

After experiencing a few storms of this area, she didn't need to think twice about putting her camera back into the container and heading to the shore. She did not want to be in the middle of a body of water when that darkness reached here. How long did she have?

Rayne turned the canoe without any problems and made the call that carefree paddling was out of the question, however going fast seemed to rock her around too much, and she didn't want to tip over, so she found a pace that wasn't meandering and didn't tip her over, and hoped it would get her there in time.