Chapter Two

It hadn't been long after they had left but Gabriel felt a pang in his chest. He knew leaving his wife behind was for the best but it still hurt. He sighed inwardly and shook his head, trying to shake her from his mind.

Gabriel? Are you alright? Inscilla's voice echoed clearly in his head, surprising him so much that he very nearly flinched.
Despite the sudden shock, Gabriel smiled slightly,
How am I able to hear you?
He sensed a fond amusement down the bond.
You and I share an inner voice. I... had one with my last human. She thought wistfully. She shook her head slightly, Nonetheless, I am sensing anxiousness and sadness from you. It worries me.
Gabriel's eyes widened. He had worried a great creature such as Inscilla? How? Perhaps it was his regret at leaving Ash.
I just.... I know it sounds stupid but I miss Ash...
I understand. Leaving someone you care greatly for must hurt, especially considering your marriage. I expect your friend - Ivor, was it? - must feel the same way as you do. Her golden eyes flicked up to Liuxing, with Ivor on her back.

They had been flying at a lower altitude than the others, Inscilla saying she was looking for a less crowded place to make a portal when really it was so Beth could breathe.

Gabriel too looked up. He couldn't make out the alchemist's expression, but Gabriel could see a regretful cloud in his dark blue eyes.
I will talk to him when we're through the portal. Gabriel internally promised.

"So does anyone know what we're up against?" Jess called out.
"Yes, I don't like the idea of going in blind." Ivor added.
There were murmurs of ascent from the humans who had stayed quiet.
"Not exactly," Galen said slowly, "All we know is that the Dragon of Death may return in one way or another."
There was a collective shudder.

Though none of the humans had been born when the Dragon of Death had come back or reigned, the humans had all heard the tale. She, the Dragon of Death, was a truly cold, cruel and evil dragon indeed.
"That is why we will make a portal to China, to get you all as prepared as we possibly can." Warrior then called over to Inscilla, "Inscilla? Have you seen anywhere?"
She was quiet for a moment before gesturing with a claw to the area below them, "Down there will be appropriate."

As one, the dragons soared downwards and landed.
"Will you be alright?" Galen asked, facing Inscilla, "None of us like the idea of what happened when you first created a portal happening again."
Inscilla smiled, "I am stronger than I was then. I will be just fine."
Gabriel faced her, about to ask what had happened but then his memory once again kicked in.

Inscilla had swallowed a star once to create a portal, she had begun to crave dark magic. It had lead her to betray her friends to the Dragon of Death, almost killing her. Then, the Dragon of Death actually had killed Inscilla but she had risen from the ashes of her former life a stronger, better dragon.

Gabriel shuddered at the thought of her betraying them. He pleaded that it would not happen again.
A rush of reassurance and comfort was sent from Inscilla to him as the blue dragon focused, electricity crackling in her wings and antlers.
Within seconds, an electric blue portal blazed before them.
"And this will lead us to Dragon Mountain?" Midnight asked, tilting her head at the older dragons around her, "But what about my parents?"
"They agreed to meet us there with Tsunami. I have no doubt that they will be waiting for their precious daughter." Liuxing sighed, albeit perhaps not as sharply as she would had it been anyone else asking. Maybe not Ivor though.

Jess and Jesse were staring at the portal with something akin to apprehension.
Beth gently came up beside them with Gabriel, both looking concerned,
"You two okay?" Beth asked in a whisper.
Jess swallowed but nodded.
"How do we know that this is gonna come out where it's supposed to?" Jesse said.
Gabriel smiled gently, "I'm sure the dragons know what they are doing."