Chapter 2

They make their way out of the arrival hall with New taking the lead. Tay walks slowly behind him. It would seem as if he was the one being escorted from the airport. New Thitipoom is filled with vibrant energy. He relates to Tay as if they have been friends for a long time, stopping a few times to nudge him for his attention and asking for his input on matters that Tay considers trivial. He is currently on a rant about how he was delayed because the airline lost his baggage.

"You'd think they would prioritize first-class passengers. Everything is a joke in this country. One hour, I've been here for one hour and it's already shit." He turns left and Tay grabs his arm and steers him to the right.

"My car is down there."

"Oh right." He twists his lips. "Does it sound like I'm whining too much? I feel like I'm whining too much. I probably come off as a prima donna."

"You do."

New stops. He turns around. "Are you not supposed to disagree?"

"I'm not a good liar." This in itself is a lie. "Sorry."

"Fine. I will say no more."

New slows his steps until Tay takes the lead. He hears the footsteps behind him become more distant as New walks at an increasingly slower pace but he doesn't turn around to look. He gets to his car first. Sits down. New arrives moments later. He throws his carry-on in the back and falls into the passenger seat. He buckles quietly and inclines the seat.

Tay watches the proceedings quietly, eyes fixed on New's hands. They are slender and smooth and—does everything on him have to be so nice to look at? "I'll start the car now." He is not sure why he felt the need to announce that. If he was more honest with himself, he would admit that the silence is making him uncomfortable. He said that in hopes that New would say something in return. He doesn't.

Tay pulls out of the parking lot into the main road. It gets quieter as the miles accumulate. His main grievance with Bangkok is its noisiness. Today, his car feels like a cemetery despite being in the middle of the raucous city's traffic. He sneaks a glance at the man in his passage seat. New's eyes are shut and a pair of AirPods are in his ears. Great. He does not seem to share Tay's discomfort. With his eyes closed like this, the vivacity that accompanies him when he's awake is replaced with a tranquil vibe.

A thought occurs to Tay to shake him awake. To destroy his peace just as he has put a crack in Tay's peace of mind. Instead, he sighs and looks forward, reaching out to turn on the radio. It crackles and starts playing a pop song he has heard from the supermarket speakers many times. Bangkok is noisy again. And Tay feels a little at ease.

**

Tay parks his car in the underground garage of the Supakarn condominium. Not only is it one of the easiest condos to acquire on such short notice, but it is also in the middle of town and convenient for someone like New who wants to experience city life. According to Alice, he was adamant about not wanting to live at home which is secluded from the central. The condo overlooks the Chao Phraya River and is close to every key destination in Bangkok. 

"We are here," Tay says. New's eyes are still closed. Tay shakes him a little. His words get stuck in his throat for a moment when New opens his eyes and holds his gaze. "Uh—we are here." He quickly looks away and starts fumbling with his seatbelt. "Let's get you settled in."

New exits the car with his carry-on luggage. He pulls the straps over one shoulder and follows Tay into the lobby. It is bright and empty, bar the lady at the counter. Tay introduces New as the man who will be occupying one of their penthouse suites for the next five months. She smiles sweetly at New. Rubs her palms in her blue dress, and holds out her hand.