Winterfell

A/N: All publicly recognizable characters and places are property of the genius George R.R. Martin and HBO, I don't claim to own any of them.

Chapter One-- Winterfell

Tesha

It's so cold up here, but not as cold as I thought it'd be. They sent me alone; that's the worst part. Father is too sick to make the journey, and my brother and sister are needed in Sunspear. So they sent me up north to meet the man they arranged a marriage with so we could have an alliance.

Not that I understand why we need an alliance with the Starks; we've been doing just fine without any of the other Seven Kingdoms ever since Robert's Rebellion. We had an alliance once, with the Targaryens. That didn't turn out very well thanks to the bloody Lannisters. The Lannisters can go fuck themselves.

"Princess Tesha," a voice says. The door to the carriage opens. "We're here."

I draw in a deep breath, and take his hand as he helps me out of the carriage. The cold air hits me, and knocks the breath out of me for a second. I guess it was stupid to only pack my usual Dornish clothes.

I look up, my dark hair and orange dress blowing in the cool wind. House Stark is assembled in front of me. Lady Catelyn stands to the right, with her youngest boy on her right. Next to her on the left is Lord Eddard, Lord of Winterfell and Warden of the North. And next to him must be Robb, the one I am to marry. Our eyes meet, and I'm genuinely surprised by how handsome he is.

He has dark black, curly hair, and bright blue eyes. His eyes have a spark in them not unlike my green ones. Even beneath his furs, I can tell he has a strong build. He's a warrior, I know it. Next to him is his mysterious twin sister Kallan. Beside her is the one they call the most beautiful woman in the North, Sansa. Next to her the youngest girl Arya, and then the second youngest boy, Bran. I did my research. I had a lot of time during the long journey.

"Princess Tesha," Lord Eddard says to me, bowing. "Welcome to Winterfell."

I smile at him politely, and curtsy. "Lord Eddard."

I stand back up, and lock eyes with Robb again. He is very pleasing to the eye, surprisingly so for a northerner.

"If there is room in the stable, I would like to rest my horses there. They've had just as long a journey as the rest of us."

"Of course," he replies. "Our home is your home." He looks over at Robb. "This is my oldest son, Robb Stark, heir to Winterfell. Robb, this is Princess Tesha Martell of Dorne."

Robb comes up to me, takes my hand, and kisses it; all while never breaking eye contact.

"My Princess," he says. "May I have the honor of escorting you to the feast being held in your name?" He holds out his arm to me.

I smile at him, and take his arm. "It would be my pleasure my Lord."

I nod to my half cousin, Nymeria Sand, who my father elected to be the head of my guard. Not that I really need a guard, it's just in case. He picked her because she thinks before attacking, and I prefer to just attack and win with only skill.

She nods back, and starts barking orders to the rest of our group.

"Who is she?" Robb asks as we walk.

"My uncle Oberyn's daughter, Nymeria Sand. My father picked her to head the guard on our journey."

"Sand, is she a bastard?"

I nod, "Yes, but we don't look down on bastards in Dorne. We also have equal inheritance laws, my oldest sister Arianne is my father's heir, not my brother Trystane."

"I've heard stories of Dorne."

"And I of Winterfell. It is much more beautiful then they describe it."

He smiles at me, as we walk into a grand hall. My mouth drops open slightly at the vastness of it. There's people, wearing furs and dark clothes, filling the main part of the room. They stop what they're doing when they see we've entered.

Some of my men have already made their way in, and are in their own corner looking out of place. There's a high table in the back, where Lord Eddard and Lady Catelyn sit. There are two seats in-between them, and I'm assuming that's where we will sit. Robb leads me up to the table, and pulls out the chair next to his father.

I smile at him again, before sitting down. He sits down next to me and his mother. Everyone in the room is staring at me, waiting to see what I do.

I turn to Lord Eddard, "Thank you, my Lord, for such a warm welcome, despite the frigid temperatures." I get a few chuckles at that one, as everyone can hear what I'm saying. "I am looking forward to my stay here, and getting to know your people and their ways." I turn out to the crowd, and lift up my wine glass. "And now, we feast!"

The crowd roars in approval, and dives into the food and drink. But somehow, I can still feel everyone's eyes on me. I'm Dornish, I look different than they do so they stare. I hate it when people look at me like that. I want people to look at me with respect and love, not look at me like I'm someone's prized pig.

"Are you uncomfortable?" Robb whispers in my ear.

I shake my head, "No, I'm fine thank you. It's just, different. Everything here is so different. For one, the colors are much duller. I haven't seen a single warm color other than what I brought. It's not a bad thing, just a different thing. If that makes any sense. Forgive me, I'm rambling."

I look down at my plate, trying to hide my embarrassment. I've never really been one for formalities, I'm a warrior not a diplomat. I understand politics and all that, but I prefer to stay away from it.

Robb chuckles, "No, you're not. It makes perfect sense. I can't imagine what it must be like to be sent to the entire other end of the Seven Kingdoms, to be with people you've never meant before for the rest of your life."

I shrug, "That's not what I'm worried about really. I'm worried about not being appreciated here. Dorne has many different values than the rest of the Seven Kingdoms. There I wasn't only a Princess, I was one of the most feared and respected warriors in the land. I fear that will not be the same here."

"You fight?" He asks, smiling.

I nod, a smile staring to form on my face again. "I do. Mainly with throwing knives, but I'm handy with a sword, bow, and whip as well. Many Dornish woman are warriors."

"I would like to see you fight."

I smirk, "I bet I could beat you."

He laughs, "Oh really?"

I nod, "I've beaten men twice your size, I bet you'll be easy."

He shakes his head, "Not a chance."

I talk with him for the rest of the night, and by the time the night is out I've decided that my time here might not be so bad after all. He seems like a good man, smart, handsome. And his youngest sister Arya has a spark about her that I adore.

What I thought would be a living hell might not be anymore.

~~**~~

A/N: In case you couldn't guess the picture is how I picture Tesha. Also this starts before the books, but the part that's before the books is kinda just a four chapter long prologue. The real shit goes down when I get to fucking with the plot line yay :)