He pulled me into a hug that I couldn't quite reciprocate. All throughout it, I felt the burning gaze of Morris Delancey and an expectant air around us. I could sense that Davey wanted to reopen doors that I would prefer remain shut.

"Yep, thas me. How ya holdin' up, I assume with ya bein' here..."
He pulled away and his lips sharply lost all curvature, "Yeah, it's a bust with my dad. He worked himself out of well... work. Doctors aren't sure he'll get back to it again."

"Gee that sucks, Dave. So you's workin' for da whole family now?"
"Yeah, me and Les kinda had to, summer break gave us the chance. Sarah's been helping the Harts with the bakery doing any job there that'll get her any cash. Our mom's been tryna find a gig of her own. We gotta make do with the opportunities we got."

"Tough break, I hope things work out. You got a plan for all this?"
"Looks like Les roped me into 'selling with Jack' which is supposedly the opportunity of a lifetime."
"You got this, Dave."

I sent him my most reassuring smile as Les dragged him back to Jack with an unparalleled enthusiasm. I hoped with everything within me that things worked out for them.

"You know Davey here?" Jack asked.
Les started to answer for me, "Yep, they used to-"
"Yeah, my one friend introduced us last year," I interrupted his childlike oversharing before it got me in a situation I wouldn't be able to crawl myself out of.

Jack appeared satisfied with the explanation and promptly charged us all to the streets, beginning yet another day of headline hawking.

I, as per usual, waited for everyone to clear the parameter until it was just Morris and Oscar locking up, greeting Morris with a hug that he was a bit resistant to.

"What's up, Mo?" I whispered into his neck.
"What's up with you? You and that new kid."

I knew it was this, I wish that part of my life could just remain in the past. I hadn't seen much of the Jacobs family in a while, now I knew why.

Davey especially though, while we ended on good terms, our paths began to cross less often. Thus, today was quite a shock to the system. Everything I had built with Morris did not need to be shaken by this.

"What's up is nothing," I sighed, "He's Davey, that guy from last year who I kissed back when we was denyin' our feelings. But it's all over, 'm friends wit' his sister and he just got dealt a tough hand. Sure it was a shock ta see 'im but you an' I, we's da real deal, there's nothin' wit' Dave no more."

He paused, "I know Y/N, deep down I knew the whole time there was nothing to worry about I just, ah I don't know, N/N. I..." he stopped again trying to find the words.

"Wish dat we didn't have ta hide," I finished his thought, rubbing my hand against his cheek.

He nodded into my palm.
"What comes of something like this? How long until the problems come?"

"Who knows, Morris? We gotta focus on what we can control, 'ts you 'n me against da woild. Da time for us will come, when all this fear's behind us. We's young, we'll see dat day. Till then, we stick together 'cause we's got each other no matter what."

In a surge of emotions, his lips latched to mine, as though no words could express what he felt in that moment. In his kiss I felt secure. Morris Delancey, my safe haven.

"Cut it out will ya, ain't nobody wanna see that," Oscar interrupted, a teasing grin on his face. His intrusion startled us apart.

"Oh shove off, Os," I lightheartedly retorted giving him a playful actual shove, "just 'cause you don't got a girl don't mean you gotta squash all the fun."