“He shows he cares by helping his friends with anything they ask for, and even when they don’t ask for help he’s always there. He helps them study and takes the time to use different approaches with each of them to guarantee they fully understand the concepts. He shows he cares by helping them figure out ways to improve their quirks. He spars with them even when he could be doing something else. He takes the time out of his day FOR his friends, when he’d probably rather be studying alone, or reading alone, or training alone.”

“Deku,” Kacchan exasperatedly sighs next to him.

He pays him no mind.

“He lets people into his space and puts effort into making sure they are taken care of – do you know how often he makes us dinner? He doesn’t have to do that. But he shows he cares by cooking meals for his friends. Makes sure everyone is fed, especially after grueling days, when even HE’S tired. He puts his friends needs first. When you’re having a bad day he’ll make your favorite dinner. Or he’ll make bento’s that are personalized – sometimes he even leaves little notes.”

The group behind him cheer excitedly at the mention of the little notes.

A small explosion sounds and it pulls Izuku’s lips up at the corner, some of his anger dissipating. But he’s no less heated. The business students are looking at him with fear and awe in their eyes and he plans to show them just how wrong they are about his most important person.

“Katsuki Bakugou, listens to you. He is always there for his friends to talk to about anything and everything. Especially the hard things. Many people in our class have PTSD or depression or anxiety or other issues and no matter what, Kacchan is there in whatever way you need him to be. A listening ear, or someone to bounce ideas off of, or someone to lift you up, or just a body in the room. He gives his friends confidence and is brutally honest in a way that demonstrates to us he wants the best for you. There is nothing you can’t ask him, even if you think it’s a stupid question – he may agree that it is – but he will answer your question no matter what. And despite his personal feelings and/or thoughts on the matter, you KNOW he will always be there for you through thick and thin.

“Katsuki Bakugou, shows he cares because when he’s out at the grocery story he’ll pick you up things he thinks you’ll like. When out at a store if he sees something that reminds him of you or that you’ll like? He’ll get it for you. When at the bookstore he’ll get you a book you’ve had your eye on forever! He’ll even start reading a series you’ve been invested in because you recommended it!  He shows he cares by sending you music he thinks you’ll like and listens to your suggestions too.

“Katsuki Bakugou, will listen to you attentively. Even on topics he doesn’t have an interest in because he knows it’s important to you. He takes care of his friends. Especially us who forget to take care of ourselves.”

A warm calloused hand slips gently around his wrist.

Grounding.

“Katsuki Bakugou, doesn’t half ass shit and that includes showing his care for people. Especially his friends. He puts his entire being into being the best. He cares so, so deeply. And you may not be privy to his heart but we are; and it is caring and good and we wouldn’t have him any other way.

“And if by now you can’t discern there’s more to someone than their outward appearance, maybe you need some extra classes on what it means to be a caring person. Because civilians have seen how much Dynamight cares for them and ensures their safety. They root for him out on the street and social media. They know he cares for them just as we know he cares even deeper for us. So shut the fuck up and grow up.”

Deku huffs one last breath. He gives each second year business student another once over – happy to see their shocked faces are still slightly pale – before he turns back around and sits down.

The warm calloused hand that had been attached to his wrist let him change directions before latching back onto the hand closest to him. Fingers now threading through his own.

“Damn Midobro,” Kirishima whistles, “I think you broke them.”

“Good.” He snaps back, adrenaline still a little high.

“They deserved it.” Kaminari says from a chair in between Shinsou and Mina.

“Yeah, you really gave it to them, babe!” Mina clapped excitedly.

“Don’t worry, Kats, you can still act all aloof; we won’t hold it against you.” Sero laughs from the other side of Shouto.

“Go fucking die.” Kacchan growls, but the fingers wrapped around Izuku’s squeeze once. The table erupts in laughter, happy and reassuring, not only to Izuku but he knows Kacchan also finds it soothing. Red eyes, trying to hide appreciation, turn to Izuku, a blonde brow arching, “I didn’t realize you even knew my real name anymore, nerd.”

“Kacchan!” Izuku blushes, but is only able to hide his blush with one hand.

“Yes, I’ve not heard anyone – you especially – say Katsuki’s given name that many times in one sitting before.”

“Oh fuck off, Icyhot.”

“That’s okay, I know you care about me when you say it like that.” The table erupts once again as Kacchan aims an explosion at Shouto’s face – though it’s quickly stopped by a barrage of ice.

Izuku watches on, smile wide, both of his cheeks puffing up. He’s happy that Kacchan has a group of people that know him just as well as he does. That care about him just as much as Kacchan cares for them. True friends.

He goes to dig back into his lunch, knowing he’ll need to hurry to make it to their next class, but a pull on their joined hands has him looking back up into bright, glorious, red eyes.

“You didn’t have to do that.”

He shrugs, “No.”

It takes more than a second before Kacchan leans into Izuku’s face, quickly kissing his cheek before nosing into his hairline. Izuku knows what this means now and he presses his body into the others’. He brings their joined hands up and kisses the back of Kacchan’s knuckles,

“Your heart’s bigger than people give you credit for. You are wonderful and caring and thoughtful and loyal and amazing. You don’t deserve for someone to slander your character. And I will never stand for it. I’d fight for you every time, Kacchan.”

It takes another minute before lips move to rest at his ear, and another before low, deep, emotionally tight words fall,

“Thank you.”

END