Chapter 23

The roads were peaceful.

They met no opposition. Arya and the Hound were further ahead, but not far enough ahead to lose them as they neared King's Landing. They found one another in Hayford, and continued the rest of the way together in cloaks that covered any recognizable features. Tormund was displeased with having to abandon his usual wildling wear, but didn't seem to mind the cloak once he realized how soft it felt over his head.

"It's nearly time for the attack," said Arya quietly as they met over dinner, having heard the townsfolk say the Northern army had crossed the Trident. "We'll cross through their camp without Jon seeing us."

"He'll be too busy entertaining the Dragon Queen," said Thyrsa. "He won't be anywhere near the lines of guards. We'll enter King's Landing at night and get close to the Red Keep. We'll enter its gates in the morning and sneak into the castle from there. Sandor, you're–"

"Who in the ruddy fuck told you that you could call me by that name?" huffed the Hound.

Thyrsa smiled thinly, "We've been beyond-the-Wall together, I think we're past that point. But if you prefer, Clegane,then I'll continue what I was saying– you're probably best suited at getting us in because you'll know the place loads better. Tormund and I have never been in there. Once we get in, we move together to find the Mountain and Queen Cersei. They'll be together. Tormund and I can take any other guards while you take on your brother and Arya goes after the Queen. Or, if there are no guards, the three of us take the Mountain together and Arya slices off Cersei's head without trouble. That woman will put up no fight. She may have blown up the Sept of Baelor but she is useless."

"Good," said Arya, finishing up her food. "Then let's get going."

Tormund and the Hound rode behind them as they approached the line of guards by the Northern camp. Several of the guards were occupied pitching tents, others trying to pretend they weren't nervous about what was to come. Only one man noticed them, calling you, "Aye, where are you going?"

"I'm Arya Stark," said the girl, "I'm going to kill Queen Cersei."

The man looked as though he'd been slapped. "Think about it," offered the Hound as the man blinked at them, "she kills Cersei, the war's over, there won't be a siege. You might not even die tomorrow."

He scoffed nervously. "I need to go talk to my captain."

"No need," said Tormund as Thyrsa beckoned them to just ride past him. No one else was bothering them, anyway. "Forget you saw us." He laughed in amusement as the man made another face. "Ah, that one will piss himself at the first sight of blood."

"That's what happens when you don't give soldiers time to rest," muttered Thyrsa. "You end up having to accept every fool into your army."

Thyrsa made sure to steer them clear of any tents with inhabitants that might recognize her. Her siblings had not come down to fight; they'd likely taken the children back to Last Hearth by now. Maja and Munda would be with them. Any Umber, Mormont, Manderly, Karstark, Cerwyn, or Hornwood fighter was well-aware that Thyrsa was not pleased about this battle. One glimpse of her and she'd ruin whatever Jon was trying to do to make Daenerys happy.

With any luck, it'd all be over without need for a fight. And Daenerys would not torment anyone ever again.

The Hound led them through the Mud Gate, where the guards did not question their status as refugees seeking the Queen's protection. He called them all idiots once they'd gotten out of earshot. Tormund's laugh nearly woke up the residents of the Street of Silk.

They camped together at the bottom of Aegon's High Hill, right at the bend of The Hook that would lead them behind the walls of the Red Keep.

At daybreak, the guards began to order the people into the gates. Thyrsa figured Cersei wanted to force Daenerys to burn them all if her intention was to kill her. Exactly the sort of thing Daenerys might want to do.