Casa De Jackson, No Gold-Plated Throne For Guests, Seriously, Dude?

THALIA'S POV

Calypso took the book from Lady Artemis and began to read.

Another thing I have never understood: How can you mortals live in such tiny places? Where is your pride? Your sense of style?

"It's called 'not having infinite money to buy whatever we want'," Percy commented dryly.

The Jackson apartment had no grand throne room, no colonnades, no terraces or banquet halls or even a thermal bath. It had a tiny living room with an attached kitchen and a single hallway leading to what I assumed were the bedrooms. The place was on the fifth floor, and while I wasn't so picky as to expect an elevator, I did find it odd there was no landing deck for flying chariots. What did they do when guests from the sky wanted to visit?

All of us, except for the gods, began to laugh.

"You... honestly... though... that we... have... flying... chariot... landing decks?" Leo asked between giggles.

Apollo didn't say anything, he just sighed and stared at his feet.

Standing behind the kitchen counter, making a smoothie, was a strikingly attractive mortal woman of about forty. Her long brown hair had a few grey streaks, but her bright eyes, quick smile, and festive tie-dyed sundress made her look younger.

"I'll be sure to tell her you said that," Percy said, still grinning.

As we entered, she turned off the blender and stepped out from behind the counter.

"Sacred Sibyl!" I cried. "Madam, there is something wrong with your midsection!"

The woman stopped, mystified, and looked down at her hugely swollen belly. "Well, I'm seven months pregnant."

All of the goddesses (except Lady Artemis) shuddered. I imagine the thought of bearing a child for that long was not pleasant.

I wanted to cry for her. Carrying such a weight didn't seem natural. My sister, Artemis, has experience with midwifery, but I had always found it the one area of the healing arts best left to others. "How can you bear it?" I asked. "My mother, Leto, suffered through a long pregnancy, but only because Hera cursed her. Are you cursed?"

Annabeth smirked, as if trying to hold back a laugh. "Nope, no curse involved, humans are always pregnant for about nine months, give or take a couple weeks."

All of the gods and goddesses (except Athena and Apollo, both of them now aware of how human pregnancies work) stared at her in astonishment.

Percy stepped to my side. "Um, Apollo? She's not cursed. And can you not mention Hera?"

"Mom still wasn't over me being kidnapped at that point." Percy explained, sending a glare in the direction of the queen of the gods. Thankfully, Hera didn't see it, otherwise my cousin would probably be a cow by now.

"You poor woman." I shook my head. "A goddess would never allow herself to be so encumbered. She would give birth as soon as she felt like it."

"That must be nice," the woman agreed.

Percy Jackson coughed. "So anyway. Mom, this is Apollo and his friend Meg. Guys, this is my mom."

The Mother of Jackson smiled and shook our hands. "Call me Sally."

Her eyes narrowed as she studied my busted nose. "Dear, that looks painful. What happened?"

I attempted to explain, but I choked on my words. I, the silver-tongued god of poetry, could not bring myself to describe my fall from grace to this kind woman.