~Chapter 3~

Most of this chapter is from the original book, I did not write most of this.

 One morning I woke up earlier than usual. Johnny and I slept huddled together for warmth, I was starting to think that he enjoyed it. Dally had been right when he said it would get cold where we were going. Being careful not to wake Johnny up, I went to sit on the steps and smoke a cigarette. I looked back at Johnny, he looked younger in his sleep- Cuter too. The dawn was coming then. All the lower valley was covered with mist, and sometimes little pieces of it broke off and floated away in small clouds. The sky was lighter in the east, and the horizon was a thin golden line. The clouds changed from gray to pink, and the mist was touched with gold. There was a silent moment when everything held its breath, and then the sun rose. It was beautiful. "Golly"--- Johnny's voice beside me made me jump--- "that sure was pretty." He looked down at me, then looked away, blushing.

"Yeah." I sighed, wishing I had some paint to do a picture with while the sight was still fresh in my mind.

"The m-mist was what was pretty," Johnny stuttered. "All gold and silver."

"Uhmmmm," I said, trying to blow a smoke ring.

"Too bad it couldn't stay like that all the time."

"Nothing gold can stay." I was remembering a poem I'd read once.

"What?"

"Nature's first green is gold,

Her hardest hue to hold.

Her early leafs a flower;

But only so an hour.

Then leaf subsides to leaf.

So Eden sank to grief,

So dawn goes down to day.

Nothing gold can stay."

Johnny was staring at me.

"Where'd you learn that? That was what I meant"

"Robert Frost wrote it. He meant more to it than I'm gettin' though."

I was trying to find the meaning the poet had in mind, but it eluded me. "I always remembered it because I never quite got what he meant by it"

"You know," Johnny said slowly, "I never noticed colors and clouds and stuff until you kept reminding me about them. It seems like they were never there before." He thought for a minute. "Your family sure is funny."

"And what happens to be so funny about it?" I asked stiffly.

Johnny looked at me quickly, A look of deep sorry. "I didn't mean nothing. I meant, well, Soda kinda looks like your mother did, but he acts just exactly like your father. And Darry is the spittin' image of your father, but he ain't wild and laughing all the time like he was. He acts like your mother. And you don't act like either one. Your... Different."

"I know," I said. "Well," I said, thinking this over, "you ain't like any of the gang. I mean, I couldn't tell Two-Bit or Steve or even Darry about the sunrise and clouds and stuff. I couldn't even remember that poem around them. I mean, they just don't dig. Just you and Sodapop. And maybe Cherry Valance. You're also different."

Johnny shrugged. "Yeah," he said with a sigh. 

"I guess both of us are different." I smiled and looked up at him. He looked back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think all of the chapters are going to be this ling from now on.

-Hazel <3