45. Confronting the Villain...right?

Start from the beginning

The faces of the guards turned a nice shade of red. Now only white and blue were missing, and they could imitate their employer's national flag.

"We have matters to discuss with the vicomte," Mr Ambrose announced, his voice cold enough to spread frost on the windows. "Let us pass."

One of the men inclined his head just a little bit, in a manner that could not possibly be mistaken for a bow.

"We shall inform the vicomte, Monsieur."

Mr Ambrose's eyes narrowed infinitesimally. He was probably a moment away from informing them that he had no need for other people's permission to go wherever he wanted, when a silky, French-accented voice drifted through the door behind the guards.

"Let them in."

The guard glanced at our group, most especially the grey-clad squad of thugs at the back. "Monsieur Vicomte, are you sure? There are quite a lot of them, and—"

"Oui, oui! You are all here, n'est-ce pas? I will be perfectly all right. Let them in."

The guards gave us a last, stern look, then pushed open the door. When we stepped inside, the vicomte was standing at the other end of the room with his back to us, studying a landscape painting of the white cliffs of Dover.

"Beautiful, non?" he spoke. "Cliffs have such a raw, rugged beauty, Messieurs et Mademoiselles. Do you know why?"

"No." My eyes narrowed. "But I'm sure you are going to tell us."

"It is the beauty of danger." Slowly, the vicomte turned around and let his gaze sweep over us. Finally, it came to rest on Mr Ambrose and me. "One wrong step, one stumble, and you plummet into the abyss."

"True." I gave the man a beatific smile. "But then again, it's just as possible for me to stumble and 'accidentally' push someone else off the cliff."

He stiffened. "What do you want, Messieurs et Madame? I thought all matters between us had been settled already?"

Mr Ambrose and I exchanged a look and came to a silent agreement.

I talk, you glare icily.

Perfect division of labour.

Turning back to the vicomte, I took a step forward, my chin raised in defiance. "In a way, you are right. Matters between us are settled—because you've lost. Your evil plot has failed."

The Frenchman looked at me for a long moment, then blinked. "Pardonnez-moi, Monsieur?"

"I said," I repeated, raising my voice enough for it to echo through the room, "Your evil plot has failed."

"Oh, I heard you the first time, Monsieur. I was just wondering what plot you were referring to."

Ah. Playing innocent, was he?

Then again, how many evil people actually regard themselves as evil? I'm sure that the hordes of Genghis Khan didn't think there was anything wrong with pillaging and plundering to their hearts' content.

"Do I need to give you a list of the crimes you committed?" I enquired sweetly. "I'd be happy to oblige."

"Please do." The vicomte cocked his head and...was that faint smile playing around the corners of his mouth? He was finding this amusing? "I look forward to hearing what horrible evils I have supposedly done."

"Well, how about we start with what you did to me?" Adaira piped up from right behind me. A moment later, she stalked past me, hands on hips and a fiery look in her eyes.