Bohat Aayi Gayi Yaadain...

Start from the beginning

But black cats had a way of crossing your path.

"Murtasim-"

He kept on walking, his stride powerful, almost violent. He heard the taps of sandals get closer and increasingly urgent, and he ignored them. The sounds came up right behind him and then a hand grabbed his bicep, breaking his stride.

And the tight control Murtasim had kept on the potential avalanche of his simmering rage wavered, stretching so thin that he feared he would do something reprehensible if he set eyes on her. It seemed she had also sensed the danger because she snatched her hand back. He stood still with his back to her, his body taut with tension.

"Haya apni khair chahti ho toh mujhse dur hojao. Tum mujhe apne aas paas ab bardasht nahi ho." His voice was low, raw and tightly controlled.

There was a sputter of protest.

"Murtasim tum mujhse kyun naraaz ho? Ghalti uski hai, saboot sab ke saamne hai aur usne tumhari ankhon mai ankhein daal ke qubool kiya hai."

His jaw clenched so painfully that his shoulders tensed, but he stood still, his back to her. She came to his side and he could make out her form in his periphery. His hand tightened into a fist and he knew he wouldn't be able to keep a leash on his control much longer.

"Usne jaan boojh ke-"

A gasp was snatched for Haya's throat as Murtasim's hand jerked up, dangerously close in front of her face, cutting her off.

"Bas! Aur nahi. Sab ka ghussa Meerab par toot para lekin ye mat samjho ke tumhara gunaah mai bhool gaya hoon." he growled with naked aggression.

Haya gulped, her eyes widening as he turned to her ever so slightly. Her eyes tried to flit away from his but his gaze finally landed on her and mercilessly trapped hers. She tightened her fingers around the glass of water she had brought for him.

"Mariyam tumhari behen thi. Tumne ussey raat mai ghar se ek anjaan aadmi ke saath bhagtay huwe dekha aur tum saari raat chup rahi. Tumne Meerab ki ghalti sabit karnay ke liye video bana li lekin ye bhool gayi ke uss video ka pata chaltay hi tumhara gunaah bhi sabit hojaye ga."

Haya's eyes widened and a burgeoning panic engulfed her chest. She had thought everyone would be too engrossed with the contents of the video to care about where it came from. If anyone asked, she'd planned to say exactly what she'd said to Maa Begum before. She had bought it, but the way Murtasim was looking at her sent a chill down her spine. She opened her mouth to repeat the same excuse she'd given Maa Begum.

It had to work. It needed to. She couldn't lose after finally getting rid of the biggest hurdle between them.

"Murtasim mujhe laga-"

He turned away, flicking his hand in chilling dismissal.

"Baaki sab bhool jayein ya maaf kardein, mai nahi bhoolun ga." his voice and his words were heavy with aggressive authority.

He turned to her and Haya could only stare past him, unable to meet his eyes.

"Lekin issye zyaada ab mein kuch nahi karnay waala."

Her head snapped up as her eyes met his, the shock in her eyes giving way to relief and blossoming hope. A smile started to stretch her lips as she looked at him. The grip on the cold, now-wet glass relaxed.

Shukar hai.

She waited for him to continue, her eyes softening and her panic disappearing. But as she watched his face shift expressions, it felt like she'd had victory in her grasp and now it was slipping away. His eyes hardened, his face taking on an almost cruel look.