Locking Eyes

Muichiro walked his husband to the front door of their home, as he was officially ready for the day ahead. He carried a perfectly brewed cup of coffee, its warmth seeping into his husband's palms as he handed it over. Kafo took the coffee from him, leaning in to plant a small peck on Muichiro's forehead.

"Okay, I'll be back, baby," He assured, opening the door and departing halfway. "Don't forget to lock up after me,"

Muichiro nodded with a hum as his husband finally left. He sighed, closing the door fully and locking it with a few minor clicks. He could feel the slight stare of the house-sitter sitting in the living room from his side. Except it wasn't strong enough. These were one of those times when he simply couldn't tell.

He turned around himself, deciding to face him and return the gaze. Embarrassingly enough, Genya wasn't staring at him at all and was instead focused on the abyss that existed in the TV.

Feeling awkward, Muichiro offered, "I can go make you some coffee,"

Genya turned over to meet his gaze with a small forced smile. He scratched the back of his neck, looking down as he usually did whenever he felt too awkward about rejecting an offer. Eventually, the courage would gradually build up, influencing his potential answer.

"Ahh no, I'm good," He admitted, drooping the smile a little as the other wasn't smiling back.

"Are you sure?" Muichiro asked with a tilt of his head, leaning his crossed arms against the back of a different couch in the same living room. "I could go make you some, just tell me how you typically like it,"

"No, really, I'm fine," Genya insisted, each word coming out a bit strained. "I don't drink caffeine,"

Muichiro smirked, closing his eyes for a second. He allowed the tranquility to sink into his mentality as a whole. With a sigh, his head drooped down, his body still bent over against the back of the couch. Genya was smart; he wished he could admit. If only his husband would take the time to learn a thing or two.

"Well then," He mumbled faintly, arising from his position.

He stretched from one side and then the other. Never parting until he could perceive the desperate sound of a crack.

"I start walking at nine," He mentioned, getting ready to enter the master bedroom. "Rules are on the fridge, but I'll just tell you anyway since it's pretty simple."

Genya folded his lips and slightly nodded in response. He gradually got up and placed his hands in the home of his pockets.

"We've had three break-ins already," Muichiro revealed. "You'll need to keep the house secure while I'm out for my walks, which usually take around thirty minutes to an hour. You'll also need to maintain it until my husband returns from work. He doesn't trust me to handle it alone. I was here during each break-in, hiding the whole time. His revolver is in the safe under his bed, and the instructions for opening it are on a note stuck to the fridge. I can't tell you since I'm not allowed to read the note, and I don't even know the code myself, but he trusts you with it."

Genya's eyes lit up as he arched an eyebrow.

"Wow, that's...,"

"A lot, I know," Muichiro sighed. "But it's necessary, I promise,"

"Understood,"

And yes, he did. That was a promise fair enough to keep. As long as the house in its entirety was entrusted to him to take care of, he wouldn't miss a step. Or at least, he hoped not. This is the first in a long time he's been met with a new job opportunity, so it would definitely hurt to let his clients down. That was the last thing he wanted to do.

Without a word, Muichiro reached once again for the master bedroom in the nearby quarters. He brushed his palms against the softness of his pajama pants as he walked. He reached into his pocket for a black hair claw, wrapping his hair in a low bun and clipping it tightly. These were all details Genya happened to notice, and he couldn't help but question himself as to why.

His brain was so incredibly focused on the movements the smaller one pursued. Every minor detail that he spotted entrapped in his head like a stray dog to a cage. Maybe it was a friend crush, but he didn't want to establish such things too early on into the workplace. There was still ample time to act professional for the remaining time being.

In a matter of seconds, Muichiro returned with some additional items. He had changed into an oversized white t-shirt and gray sweatpants, with black reading glasses perched on his nose. His previously messy bun was even messier now. Strands stuck out of each bunch, all connected to the singular bun that was his hair. He also carried a silver-cased MacBook, which Genya assumed was for studying.

He couldn't be any more correct about it, as weird as it was concerning the difference in behavior. Muichiro typically didn't study at the dining area once he came to the realization of just how comfy his grandeur bedroom was. However, it was the single open room right by the cave of the living room where Genya lay, and boy did he love to stare.

As weird as it sounds, that's simply just how Muichiro got to know people he instantly found an interest in. He was good at hiding it, too, and making the other question reality as much as it wasn't his intention to. Somehow, he could get so far into description with just a few quick glimpses.

"You know you can turn on the TV, right?" Muichiro said, settling into a dining room chair and opening his computer. "Just keep the volume down, I'll be studying,"

Genya nodded apprehensively. He knew all of that a long time ago. However, being him, he refused to go about it as was usually his final approach. Instead, he pulled out his phone and proceeded to tap against the bright screen before him. He seriously couldn't touch that remote.

Muichiro shrugged it off, crossing one leg over the other with a concentrated stretch. As he did it, a bliss smile swept across his face. His eyes closed, and he finally felt at peace. Then, at once, as if immediate lightwork, he shot his first glance.

There.

Genya sat relaxed, eyes clearly concentrated on something as his eyebrows knitted together in confusion. He scrunched his nose with a hand before rising it across the rest of his face, and finally, through the bristles of his nicely trimmed mohawk. After removing his hand from his hair, he subtly shook his head. A playful gesture that somehow reminded Muichiro of a little puppy.

As if it never even happened, Muichiro quickly departed his gaze back onto his laptop, his smile increasing in length. Noticing himself in his lingering grin, he shut it off with haste, allowing every ounce of concentration to inspire him. He rested his elbow onto the dining table and his chin onto his palm. He clicked on a random button, any button to make himself look normal, and with another swift spin of his head, he faced Genya once again.

This time, the taller one was sucking his teeth, slouching a bit on the couch. He was a little bit of a slacker, Muichiro could tell, but it didn't bother him much. Definitely would bother his husband, however. Muichiro creased his eyes for a closer look, scrutinizing Genya's eyes as they lit up to something on his screen, whatever it was.

Once again, Muichiro looked away with a sigh. It was too easy. Sneaking subtle glances at this guy who was barely even a kilometer away from him was suddenly a piece of cake. He just needed one more. One more to fully understand him so that he could officially get back to his work and study.

Balling one of his hands into a fist, he shot his eyes towards the taller one for yet a third time. Genya's hands rested on his lap, refusing to tap onto his phone any longer. His shoulders hunched up, and all of a sudden, his posture looked good. It almost felt good. Yet, as Muichiro's eyes tilted upwards, he realized there was a bigger sight to behold. He finally got to perceive Genya's dark purple irises as they aimlessly stared back at him.

Word Count: 1438

Happy For House Help | A Genmui Fanficजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें