Chapter 18 - Tank meets Nicole & Margie gives birth

Start from the beginning

Tank dropped his spoon into the bowl, causing it to clatter loudly, which startled them all. Beau and Greggory had just been watching.

When Tank stood up, Nicole took a step back, closer to Beau, as if he could protect her from the much larger man.

"Hello." Tank said softly. "My name is Tank."

"Hi. My name is Nicole. I just came for a glass of milk. I couldn't sleep." Nicole said.

Tank picked up his bowl and looked over at Greggory, who's bowl was now empty. He put his hand out and said "I'll take yours back to the kitchen." Then he whispered, "If you know what is good for you, both of you will stay out here."

Greggory nodded and whispered back "Guard change is in an hour." Tank nodded and turned back to Nicole.

"Come on. I'll show you." Tank said.

Nicole didn't tell him that she already knew where the milk was but followed him into the kitchen. Neither of them saw the big smiles on Beau and Greggory's faces. They may not know Tank very well yet but they had both gotten to know Nicole a little and thought she was really nice. She definitely deserved to be treated better than the jackass who had beat her up.

Nicole watched the big man from behind. "Lord, his shoulders are so wide and his arms are huge! I wonder what it would feel like for him to hold me?" Nicole's thoughts surprised her. She had not been attracted to anyone since her husband, Steven, had been killed.

She had been on a couple of dates since then but they had gone nowhere. And the fiasco with Harry had kind of put her off of dating anymore. She had made up her mind to just raise her kids as best she could and accept that she would never have a man in her life again.

She had her job, well she did up until this all happened and her rent was paid on the trailer. She wasn't looking forward to going back there but it was better than trying to sleep in her car with two kids. She just needed time to heal and then she would get back to her life, hopefully. She was planning on calling her boss tomorrow and explaining what had happened and prayed he would give her the time off to get her life back in order.

But now? Now she wasn't certain. She had felt something when the large man spoke to her. She had been startled when he had stood up but he was so soft spoken that she didn't feel threatened by him. No, in fact she felt very attracted to him. He wasn't the type of person she would normally be attracted to but everything that she had thought had died with Steven suddenly woke up inside of her.

He didn't look anything like Steven, who had had blonde hair and the warmest brown eyes she had ever known. No, Tank's hair was jet black and he had beautiful blue eyes. She couldn't help but wonder what his smile looked like.

Tank stepped into the kitchen and held the door for her to enter and then let it swing closed behind her. "Here, glasses are over here, I think." Tank said, walking around the counter to put the ice cream bowls in the sink and then reaching up to open a cupboard and got lucky that it was the one that held glasses. It made sense since it was the cupboard closest to the fridge.

Nicole opened the fridge and got out a jug of milk and poured the glass about 2/3rds the way full. Tank quickly washed out the bowls and put them in the dishwasher. He watched Nicole out of the corner of his eye and thought to himself, "she's pretty but she doesn't look anything like Tina but that's a good thing, I think.

Who am I kidding? Why would she want to get involved with me? I'm three times her size and I'm an ex-con. Greggory said she's got two kids. She's not going to want me anywhere near her kids. But damn, I have to admit, once the bruises fade, she's going to be very pretty." Tank thought to himself.